Parking a vehicle in Iran on a carnet de passage

Self-driving the Silk Road.
steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Carnet Question: Leaving a vehicle in Iran while exiting the country temporarily

Post by steven »

This thread collects all questions and reports regarding leaving your vehicle in Iran with a regular carnet de passage. If you are using a temporary border carnet, use this forum thread instead.

We sum up all tips and rules surrounding long-term parking across Eurasia in our article on Long-term vehicle storage on a Silk Road trip.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

michael_moto

Parking a vehicle in Iran on a carnet de passage

Post by michael_moto »

Hello. Quick question in relation to the Carnet.

I have travelled to Iran by motorcycle with my Carnet. I want to leave Iran for one week by plane (for supplies and a much needed battery recharge ;) )

Is it ok to leave my vehicle here temporarily? Do I need to contact a customs office to clear storage of the vehicle or can I leave it with my Iranian friends?

PS. My country has visa on arrival at the airport for when I return.

Thanks.
0 x

michael_moto

Re: Carnet Question: Leaving a vehicle in Iran while exiting the country temporarily

Post by michael_moto »

Hey! Update on this... I Left my motorcycle in Iran for one week while I returned home.

It makes sense when you think about it that it should be easier to leave a vehicle in Carnet accepting countries because they have your deposit hostage. In my case there was no mention of the vehicle on any stamp in my passport so I didn't even mention it when leaving/reentering.
1 x

Christopher

Post by Christopher »

When we entered Iran from Armenia, I was expecting the official to put as expiry date something like 3 months other the validity of the visa (10days); but he just copied out the date of the carnet and effectively gave us 11 ½ months! There was nothing in the passport mentioning that we entered with a vehicle. I return to Iran in December and will report back on any issues when leaving through Turkmenistan. So we will have left vehicles for 4 months.
1 x

Christopher

Post by Christopher »

An update. We exited after vehicle had been 11 months in Iran. We exited twice without the vehicles. Got the final exit stamps. No problem. Now sending the COD’s back to Switzerland to recover the guarantee.
1 x

robert

Leaving vehicle in Iran on carnet

Post by robert »

Hi,

does someone here have experience with leaving a car in Iran, and then leaving the country (by plane)? We're planning to do this. We'll have a Carnet de Passage, valid for one year, and would return within this period, get the car and move on.

Will this be possible, or are we likely to run into troubles leaving the country (by plane, or later with the car)?

Also, will we need to get Iranian license plates if the car remains in the country for several months?

We (and the car) are German, if this is of any relevance.

Thanks for any advice,

Robert.
0 x

PetiteJeannette

Re: Parking a vehicle in Iran on a carnet de passage

Post by PetiteJeannette »

Hello
same question as Robert. same personnal situation (EU citizen with need for visa).
Are there recent experoiences you could share ?
thanks a lot in advance
Benoît
0 x

hirsel

Post by hirsel »

Hi,

Any news on this subject?
We are a German couple and want to fly to Germany and leave our car in Iran for 1-2 weeks.
AFAIK it's still possible to leave your private car in Iran, as long as you Carnet is valid for the period.
Do we need to inform or get an extra permit from e.g. customs before leaving?

Thanks, Mathias
1 x

himbel

Post by himbel »

hirsel wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:17 am
Hi,

Any news on this subject?
We are a German couple and want to fly to Germany and leave our car in Iran for 1-2 weeks.
AFAIK it's still possible to leave your private car in Iran, as long as you Carnet is valid for the period.
Do we need to inform or get an extra permit from e.g. customs before leaving?

Thanks, Mathias
Hi Mathias,

We also did the same recently, meaning we left our car in Iran for 2 weeks and flew back home to Germany.
We did not inform anyone and did not face any problems. Nobody asked for our car when we left Iran nor when we re-entered.
2 x

hirsel

Post by hirsel »

Hi Himbel,
sounds quite easy. Thx a lot.
0 x