Khorog to Osh via Wakhan Valley - around 16th August (very flexible!)

Share a ride on the Pamir Highway
Forum rules
1. Commercial offers are not allowed.
2. Please do not share personal contact details in your posts. Get in touch through the personal message system. Your PM stays in your outbox until the recipient logs in again.
3. Posts without a reply for more than 90 days are automatically removed.
4. Please report drivers sending you private messages. It helps us keep this board free from commercial intent.
Antaine

Khorog to Osh via Wakhan Valley - around 16th August (very flexible!)

Postby Antaine » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:39 pm

Hi friends,

I'm Anthony, a 23 year old solo traveller from Ireland.

I'm looking to rent a car/driver to share from Khorog to Osh via the Wakhan Valley around 16th August for around 4/5 days, but I am flexible with this date and with the itinerary/days travelling. Open to any suggestions with regards to the itinerary and what to see, etc...

I plan to be in Afghanistan (Eshkashem) for the few days before, from sometime after 12th August, so you are also welcome to join me there if interested!

I can speak Persian pretty okay and also a little Russian if that helps!

Kind Regards,

Anthony
0 x

AndrewR

Re: Khorog to Osh via Wakhan Valley - around 16th August (very flexible!)

Postby AndrewR » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:11 am

Hey Anthony,

I’m from Wicklow. I’m impressed you speak Farsi and Russian. I have 9 languages but neither of them.

I’m a 54 year old uni lecturer living in Paris. Would love to meet you along the way. Arrive in Dushanbe on the 5th August and hope to sort out my GBAO and then head out somehow around the 7th.

Don’t know where you will be but maybe see you along the way. My email is [email protected]. Can text you my tel there.

Andrew
0 x

Antaine

Postby Antaine » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:11 am

Hey Andrew,

Good to hear from you! I'm from the same county, what are the chances?

I don't think that I'll arrive to Dushanbe that soon unfortunately, but will definitely be in touch with you!

Anthony
0 x

Evalu

Postby Evalu » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:46 am

Hi Andrew,
We (couple) think about going osh-khorong- osh maybe on a self driving tour, although plans are still not set (at all). We would probably start around 14th in osh so would go back from khorong around 19th or so - is that too late for you?
Also I'm actually concerned about security Situation in vakhan valley so thought about skipping that and taking the direct way. Didn't get quite good Information so far, did you?
Would be nice to hear from you,
Eva
0 x

JayC95

Postby JayC95 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:22 am

Hello Anthony,

I'm a 24 year old from the US (solo as well), and I'll be looking to do the trip via the valley as well around that time. I think I'll be in Khorog a little earlier, so a departure from 14-16th works for me!

I'll be happy to join you if you're interested!

-Jonathan
0 x

Sandie

Postby Sandie » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:26 pm

Hey guys! I’m an asian American currently in Dushanbe and looking to get to osh via the Wakhan valley. But I can head towards Khorog because I want to see the Afghan/ Tajikistan market on Saturday and stay there a few days.
0 x

Antaine

Postby Antaine » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:46 am

Hi all,

Thank you all for your replies! I’m happy to go for whatever date suits the majority best, as I am very flexible myself. I will PM you all individually very soon to see what works best. I have also been in contact with a few drivers.

With regards to the Wakhan Valley, yes, it is safe.

Anthony
1 x

Visaira

Postby Visaira » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:49 am

Hello, I wanted to answer to Evalu. We are a couple from Spain. We have arranged a tour leavinf the 17th from Osh to Khorog. A 5 days tour. If you are 2, it would be 215 usd per person for the whole tour with a driver. We tried to ren a car to self drive it was not posible, they wont let you rent the car on your own unfortunately so if you want to join us it would be so great! :D

This Will be the itinerary:

Day 1: Osh – Tulpar Kol
The still waters of this quiet mountain lake reflect the surrounding forests, and the trail up looks out over splendid views of the surrounding valleys and a small corner of the lake on the horizon. The largest of a string of 42 small lakes, Tulpar Kol stretches for nearly a kilometre in between the final small foothills and the first major ridge of the Trans-Alay range. Strolling the quiet lake shore or searching out the other 41 lakes nearby offers ever-changing angles on the peaks and glaciers leading towards Lenin far above. At 3 500 m, though, you may well run out of breath before you run out of lakes.

Day 2: Tulpar Kol – Karakul Lake – Murgab
They say in the Pamir: “to arrive here and do not see Murgab is like not visiting the Pamirs at all”. After all, by the Roof of the World, we mean Murgab. In the morning we will drive to this town. On the way you will drive over the highest Ak Baital pass (4 655 m). At the flat landscape of desolate Murgab there are dozens of peaks with absolute altitude over 6 000 meters above sea level. Often the landscape of Murghab is compared to the surface of the Moon by visitors, viewing the scene with outsiders’ eyes. Indeed, this comparison speaks to the unrepeatable experience of being in Murghab and the uniqueness of the place. The desolate and high-altitude climate of Murghab is almost Arctic. Dry air, short and cool summers and almost snowless, severe, freezing winters characterize the weather. Dinner and night is in a guesthouse.

Day 3: Murgab – Yashil Kul Lake – Bulunkul Lake – Langar
The most beautiful lakes of the Pamirs are Yashil Kul and Bulunkul (Blue lakes), stretched on the altitude of 3 700 meters above sea level, are situated in the Murghab district. Today we will spend a night near them. The color of water in Bulunkul is a subtle inter-play of violet and dark-blue in the sunlight. Species of fish like are found in abundance in the lake. There is the opportunity to see yaks, a unique species of domestic animals, sharing features of cow and sheep, traditionally used as a beast of burden apart from giving milk and meat products. In the afternoon we will drive to Langar along Afghanistan border. On the way you will drive over Khargush pass (4 344 m). Dinner and night is in a home stay.

Day 4: Langar – Yamg – Ishkashim
Drive towards the Wakhan corridor. There are several places of interest to stop. Above the village of Vrang, on a cliff-side pitted with caves, stands a Buddhist complex dating from 4th- 7th centuries. At Yamg, we visit the reconstructed home of Sufi mystic Muabara Kadam , who died in 1910. Near this house there is stone pillar with a hole in it which he used to calculate a solar calendar. On the road we will visit Kah-Kaa and Yamchun fortresses, further up the hillside are the hot spring at Bibi Fatima: dense and very salty minerals, the water at Bibi Fatima is crystal clear. Overnight is in guesthouse.

Day 5: Ishkashim – Khorog
In the morning we will drive to Khorog. It is perhaps one of the tiniest cities on the map of the world. It is surrounded by rocky mountains from all four sides. The town was built on the confluence of the 3 rivers where Shokhdara river and Ghund river flow into Pyanj river. On the way to Khorog you will meet Pamir people. A number of anthropological features set the Pamir people apart from the Tajik people. Among the Pamiris, there is a high percentage of people with blonde hair, fair skin and blue eyes. Pamirs Mountains are the highest mountains in the world with human population after the Himalayas in Tibet. Life in the mountains made traditions of local people different from Tajik people. Dinner is in a restaurant. Night is in a guesthouse.
0 x

AndrewR

Postby AndrewR » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:04 am

Hello Anthony, Eva, Jonathan and everyone else.

I’m currently in Khorog until tomorrow. Are any of you arriving here. I was just thinking of getting a local shared bus/taxi to Ishkashim at the start of the Wakhan Corridor and then head to Tugguz. Not sure if I could hitch the rest of it or get lifts and might end up coming back to Khorog to try and organise transport to OSH.

Would love to hear if any of you are around?

Thanks,

Andrew
+33 6 64 81 12 48 whatsapp
0 x

Visaira

Postby Visaira » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:23 pm

Evalu wrote:Hi Andrew,
We (couple) think about going osh-khorong- osh maybe on a self driving tour, although plans are still not set (at all). We would probably start around 14th in osh so would go back from khorong around 19th or so - is that too late for you?
Also I'm actually concerned about security Situation in vakhan valley so thought about skipping that and taking the direct way. Didn't get quite good Information so far, did you?
Would be nice to hear from you,
Eva

Hello everybody, we have 2 vacancies available but starting the 17th from Ohs, a 5 days tour We are a couple from Spain (39,41 years old).

This Will be the itinerary:

Day 1: Osh – Tulpar Kol
The still waters of this quiet mountain lake reflect the surrounding forests, and the trail up looks out over splendid views of the surrounding valleys and a small corner of the lake on the horizon. The largest of a string of 42 small lakes, Tulpar Kol stretches for nearly a kilometre in between the final small foothills and the first major ridge of the Trans-Alay range. Strolling the quiet lake shore or searching out the other 41 lakes nearby offers ever-changing angles on the peaks and glaciers leading towards Lenin far above. At 3 500 m, though, you may well run out of breath before you run out of lakes.

Day 2: Tulpar Kol – Karakul Lake – Murgab
They say in the Pamir: “to arrive here and do not see Murgab is like not visiting the Pamirs at all”. After all, by the Roof of the World, we mean Murgab. In the morning we will drive to this town. On the way you will drive over the highest Ak Baital pass (4 655 m). At the flat landscape of desolate Murgab there are dozens of peaks with absolute altitude over 6 000 meters above sea level. Often the landscape of Murghab is compared to the surface of the Moon by visitors, viewing the scene with outsiders’ eyes. Indeed, this comparison speaks to the unrepeatable experience of being in Murghab and the uniqueness of the place. The desolate and high-altitude climate of Murghab is almost Arctic. Dry air, short and cool summers and almost snowless, severe, freezing winters characterize the weather. Dinner and night is in a guesthouse.

Day 3: Murgab – Yashil Kul Lake – Bulunkul Lake – Langar
The most beautiful lakes of the Pamirs are Yashil Kul and Bulunkul (Blue lakes), stretched on the altitude of 3 700 meters above sea level, are situated in the Murghab district. Today we will spend a night near them. The color of water in Bulunkul is a subtle inter-play of violet and dark-blue in the sunlight. Species of fish like are found in abundance in the lake. There is the opportunity to see yaks, a unique species of domestic animals, sharing features of cow and sheep, traditionally used as a beast of burden apart from giving milk and meat products. In the afternoon we will drive to Langar along Afghanistan border. On the way you will drive over Khargush pass (4 344 m). Dinner and night is in a home stay.

Day 4: Langar – Yamg – Ishkashim
Drive towards the Wakhan corridor. There are several places of interest to stop. Above the village of Vrang, on a cliff-side pitted with caves, stands a Buddhist complex dating from 4th- 7th centuries. At Yamg, we visit the reconstructed home of Sufi mystic Muabara Kadam , who died in 1910. Near this house there is stone pillar with a hole in it which he used to calculate a solar calendar. On the road we will visit Kah-Kaa and Yamchun fortresses, further up the hillside are the hot spring at Bibi Fatima: dense and very salty minerals, the water at Bibi Fatima is crystal clear. Overnight is in guesthouse.

Day 5: Ishkashim – Khorog
In the morning we will drive to Khorog. It is perhaps one of the tiniest cities on the map of the world. It is surrounded by rocky mountains from all four sides. The town was built on the confluence of the 3 rivers where Shokhdara river and Ghund river flow into Pyanj river. On the way to Khorog you will meet Pamir people. A number of anthropological features set the Pamir people apart from the Tajik people. Among the Pamiris, there is a high percentage of people with blonde hair, fair skin and blue eyes. Pamirs Mountains are the highest mountains in the world with human population after the Himalayas in Tibet. Life in the mountains made traditions of local people different from Tajik people. Dinner is in a restaurant. Night is in a guesthouse.

We are lookin for 2 pepople to share the costs. If you are interested please respomd or comtact me in 0034655743732
0 x