Mongolia in 10 days... Is it worth?

All about Mongolia
Mikeromero

Mongolia in 10 days... Is it worth?

Post by Mikeromero »

I am looking forward to travelling there next year (spring, summer), but I can´t go longer than 10 days and, taking into account the distances, the lack of public transport and the unavailability of own wheels, would appreciate opinions on whether this can be interesting and it´s possible to visit interesting places (not only get stuck to one or two cities and to urban tourism).

Is it realistic to visit some of the inner part of the country, with no own wheels in such a small time? I also would much rather prefer to travel on my own, as I am not really fan of excursions o group made trips...

Thank you!
0 x

jacoblab1

Re: Mongolia in 10 days... Is it worth?

Post by jacoblab1 »

Travelling on your own in Mongolia with 10 days definitely isn't easy - most attractions don't really have any sort of public transport going to them.

I had three weeks there, and I still opted for a group tour organized through a hostel in Ulaanbaatar. The budget group tours aren't exactly like a normal group tour. They're much more backpacker style, a mix of camping and staying in yurts, and just basic food.

10 days would be enough for a good trip to either Central Mongolia or the Gobi region without feeling too rushed.
1 x
My solo-travel blog: On The Way Around
Covers destinations such as China, Pakistan, Afghanistan, and more!

Mikeromero

Post by Mikeromero »

Thank you very much for your answer. That´s what I thought.
By the way, congratulations on your blog. It´s actually really useful and interesting. I really liked the idea of the trips arranged by hostels... I think for that country is the best idea (if not the only besides having own wheels or pack arranged tours).
0 x

Lovetheworld

Post by Lovetheworld »

I would book a Gobi tour, which is a week I think or at least 5 days. And then you can perhaps have an additional trip to Erdene Zuu monastary, perhaps combined with something in Orkhon valley or some other natural sight in the vicinity.
Or a separate trip to the Ghengis Khan statue.

So Gobi trip + 1 or 2 daytrips.
0 x

jfdesfosses

Post by jfdesfosses »

Where are you from ? How much of a jet lag? What is your budget?

Honestly, for 10 days, Mongolia might not be the best destination. Logistics, transportations, everything...takes time.

I am going for roughly 30 days this September, (spent 2.5 months a year and a half ago), and I thing it's cutting it close :)

If you want more info, you are welcomed to contact me !
0 x

Mikeromero

Post by Mikeromero »

Thank you for your messages Lovtheworld and jfdesfosses!!

Actually, I would be travelling from Moscow, so almost no jet lag (or not much). Budget is not a problem, although would not like to spend more than 100 - 150 USD per day.

Wish I could have as long as three or four weeks... but for me that´s impossible. I have to choose between ten days or another destination :( and, actually, Mongolia is one of the few places I haven´t visited and one of the few where it seems really not much time to see something (don´t want to be stranded in Ulan Baator with just a couple of day long excursions to the surrounding areas).

So that, any help is more than welcome!! Thank you very much!
0 x