Qolma/Kulma pass (China-Tajikistan) border crossing reports

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
Jealgu

Re: Qolma/Kulma pass (China-Tajikistan) border crossing reports

Post by Jealgu »

Thanks for the update. Which direction did you go? Did you have any problems on the Chinese side with the police or permits etc.?
0 x

hovo

Post by hovo »

On May 8 I crossed the border at the Kulma Pass with a tourbus with 26 passengers from China to Tajikistan. The Chinese Customs Port at Kalasu opened at 12:00 hr. After the Chinese procedures we could continue at 13:40 to the actual border 14 km onwards, where we arrived 13:55. Unfortunately the Tajik office had problems with the internet connection, therefore it took from 13:55 until 16:42 before all 26 passports had been checked. Baggage was not checked, and the officers were friendly. All of us had a visa and GBAO permit arranged at home.
1 x

Lucho

Post by Lucho »

421Adventure wrote:Hello!

We crossed the border by bike on the 15/05/2019 and there was no problem.

We met another cyclist we crossed on the 27/05/2019 also without any problems.

Enjoy, it's really a nice pass!

421Adventure
Hello!!! I am in Kashgar now. Someone know if any permission is necessary or it is possible to reach the border (qolma) by bicycle. Thanks
0 x

Simone80

Post by Simone80 »

Hi Guys,
last summer I took a driver and travelled in Karakoram highway...
This time I was thinking of going to accross Qolma border and go to Tajikistan..
I would like to ask you how could I travel in the other side? I guess I should need a driver also there? anyone has some suggestions?
Thank you
Simone
0 x

StephParis

Post by StephParis »

Lucho wrote: Hello!!! I am in Kashgar now. Someone know if any permission is necessary or it is possible to reach the border (qolma) by bicycle. Thanks
Hello Lucho

Did you finally get an answer ? Is a special permit needed to go to the border ?
0 x

Sweeeet

Post by Sweeeet »

Hi - on 17 may 2019 i wanted to cross thru the Qolma pass from Kashgar but there was so much disinformation from hostel (Old town hostel) / other travellers etc that a 'new' permit was required to head that way (as this is the road to Tashkorgan). I went to a place about 5km walk north of old town where chinese were getting permits (address / name i cant remember) and the office there told me in unclear English that i would need a special permit and that as a foreigner mine had to be issued by a travel agent?? Travel agent : who/where/how much?? wasnt clear. I didnt want to catch the bus (lose a day) etc only to be told i couldn't proceed so i went Kashgar to Osh instead - then made my way south into Tajikistan. Not sure this post helps much - other than hopefully information available locally is a bit clearer now. Anyone with more recent experience?
Cheers
2 x

Jealgu

Post by Jealgu »

vlatkohorvat wrote:Hi all, we passed the qulma pass border on July 31th from Tajikistan. 3 of us, 2 from Croatia and one from Australia.
We started from Murghab very early and arrived to tajik side of the border slightly before 9 (tajik time) and waited for the border to open until 10 (tajik time) .
On Tajik side everything went very quickly (police control plus customs) , we had laugh and fun with officers, they also made picture of use with qulma pass sign.
After coming to police checkpoint on Chinese side, it took them arou d 15minjtes to check passports and visas and after that they helped us board the trucks going from Tajikistan to China
Around 15min drive to Kalasu port, got out of the truck and by foot towards the Chinese border/customs. Questions about everything. While the process was ongoing, it was time for Chinese lunch break.
Of course it prolonged everything, but they were very kind and oferred us food during wanting.
After lunch break they went through all the photos on all our devices (3 phones, camera and tablet) and that's it, soon after Chinese stamp was in the passport.
If 1hour waiting on tajik side is not counted, it took us 2hours and 15min from tajik side of border to getting Chinese stamp and entering China.
Cool experience
How did you manage your transport in China?
0 x

lweisner

Post by lweisner »

Dear Overlanders,
two friends and i want to do a trip with our motorbikes, next year from Germany to Australia. We have a rough idea of the route we want to take in our mind. It includes Germany, Poland, Ukraine, Russia, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Kirgisistan, Tajikistan, China, Pakistan, India, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia, Indonesia and Australia.
During our research we recognized that the border between Tajikistan and China and the Qulma-Pass are open.
Do you know if it's possible to use this route to cross through China to Pakistan? Do the agencies we have to use even offer this trip or has anybody else already used this route and can share his experiences? Can someone suggest an agency who offers this trip?
It seems really complicated to plan the crossing through China and i'm very glad and thankful for any tips or recommendations you can provide.
Greetings
Louis
0 x

TaPi

Post by TaPi »

Hi all.
Here is our Kulma Pass crossing report from Tajikistan to China in August 2019.
We (2 Swiss on bicycles) crossed the border on 16.08.19. We left Murghab the day before.
From Murghab approx. 10km are paved, then 40km is not paved and in bad condition so that the trucks created alternative routes left and right of the original road. After approx. 50km from Murghab the road is well paved.
We arrived at the first control post (70km from Murghab) in the morning at 08:30. Quick passport check then we were allowed to climb up to the pass. We arrived at the pass/border at 12:15 -> waited until 13:00 because of the lunch break. Then we went thru another passport control and got the exit stamp and off to china! We had a normal chinese visa, no special permission or something similar.
There a bus with police men was waiting, asking questions about duration of stay, itinerary, money and they checked the phone (fotos and some installed apps). They were friendly. Then a transport (normal car) was organised who brought us down (15km) to the chinese immigration check. Again check of phones and this time as well the camera. No installation of strange apps or so. But we were lucky: a storm had shut down the energy for an hour so we had to wait, in the end the police did not check or X-Ray any luggage as it was already late. We think normally they’ll do a proper check there.
From Qulma to Kashgar then no problem, a lot of police around but they don’t care about you. We could easily camp. There were 2 police checkpoints on the way but they only wanted the passports (5min). On the way is also a tunnel - all downhill and well ventilated and bright so no problem as well.
For us it was a really nice way to enter China fron Tajikistan also because you are directly at the bottom of the Muztagh-Ata Peak!
2 x

globetraveler

Post by globetraveler »

Hi folks. I traveled around Xinjiang province of China for 4 days (hitching, night trains). Practically, it's a war zone, a bunch of guns, police, you really don't enjoy. I departed from Kashgar at 2 pm and managed to get Tashkurgan by 9pm. 7 hours of pure hitching, 300km.There were three checkpoints. The first one comes after 100km. If I understood a policeman well, if you don't have any reason (proof) why you go further, they won't let you go! Luckily I had my Tajik evisa and didn't have problem. My "problem" in the whole province was my Serbian passport. We don't need chinese visa (visa free 30 days), and I had work&businesa visas so every time stuck 20-60 min at the checkpoint. They don't speak any English so I used my bad Chinese. Really painfully slow. Tomorrow morning (July 1st 2019) came back from Tashkurgan to Kalasu border by hitching again (2 hours). They opened at 12.10, noon (close at 6pm if understood well?). First X-ray check of my belongings and camera&phone check. Then the main building. Bunch of questions, second X-ray (!!!), again detailed camera & phone check. I was nervous because of some previous experiences where the cops deleted the whole SD card photos because of God knows why. Luckily they didn't delete mine, eventually 20 photos but not sure 100%. Spent one hour there then nice police young woman helped me to load me on the truck, me and another Tajik driver. Then ascending to the pass and waiting for the lunch break on the Tajik side (3 hours time difference and they didn't synchronize their work hours, so effectively they both work maybe 2 hours a day). There we waited for 2 hours or so. Then we decided to walk and cross on foot. It took 20min. Gestapo border finally over! Then freedom. Tajik side, cool and relaxed guys, 30min in total. They even showed me the elevation marker (4365m). After that I was lucky enough to catch a ride to Murghab. First 30-40km nice paved road, after that, horrible. :D The pass is really beautiful as you are crossing the Pamirs. The weather was excellent, and views... So enjoy, have a nice trip!
1 x