Door to Hell from Dashoguz

Post your itinerary questions and trip reports here
lnhzd

Door to Hell from Dashoguz

Post by lnhzd »

Hi guys,

We will be entering Turkmenistan via Dashoguz and heading toward the south. Obviously we'd like to stop by Darvaza and to stay overnight next to the door to hell. We've done some homework and have found the following options:

Option 1) contact tour operator to pre-arrange transport and tent - tried a few they seem to be less keen on transport/camping only as opposed to the whole tour package, the response rate is fairly low.any local tour operators in Köneürgench?

Option 2) to make our own way to Dashoguz, then try to find a Jeep/motorbike offered by the owner of the tea house everyone talks about. the most recent story I've heard about was 70 dollars waiting for 1.5 hours only, which doesn't suit us well.

3) I've also heard of people hiring a Jeep from Darvaza and staying overnight in the Jeep in the desert, we are most interested in this option but is it still feasible? it was 30-50 dollars 2 years ago but where can we find the contact to arrange this?

Any comments on the options above would be appreciated.
Also if we don't go for option 1 we'll have to hitch a ride to Ashgabat, how easy is it to fit in 2 people in a truck?

Thanks!
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Re: Door to Hell from Dashoguz

Post by bwv812 »

Solid info here:
http://sunriseodyssey.com/darvasa-gas-c ... rkmenistan

I included this link as part of my suggested 5-day transit itinerary:
http://silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com/ ... eview.html
0 x

lnhzd

Post by lnhzd »

hi bwv812, thanks a lot for your reply. Yep I have no problems hiking for 7 km, but the concern is hiking for 7km on sand in August when temperature could potentially reach 40 degrees....anyone has tried it summer?
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

Well, I think the idea is to do what they did and hike out in the middle of the night and come back in the early morning when it won't be so hot. I've walked similar distances in mid-August in Turpan, Xinjiang (basically the hottest & lowest spot in China) and it was fine even in the middle of the day. I personally wouldn't be too worried—just take plenty of water and a hat. But by the time you get there, you'll probably have a pretty good idea from your time in Khiva and Uzbekistan if it's doable or not.
0 x

lnhzd

Post by lnhzd »

thanks bwv812!
0 x

rodarpelmon

Post by rodarpelmon »

Hi, you can also wait at crossroad for a lift to Door to Hell, or walk 1 km to the train station, there are a couple of 4x4 just waiting for tourist... or asking people for "jeep" and they contact to some driver. We arranged a pick up at 8 pm and back at 9.30, just for night pictures. We sleept at the train station parking, in our campervan, a very quite place also for bikers or backpackers with tent.

Salut!
Sergi
0 x

squawkerys

Post by squawkerys »

Just a follow-up to Sergi's note. After crossing the train tracks near Darvaza (just after the teahouses, heading south), there's a good chance of a 4x4 lurking near the turnoff (look on your left hand side)....or, if not, ask someone at a teahouse. They wanted USD30 for the return trip, agreeing whatever times suit. Obviously high for such a short trip, but I would not like to be trying to find the road through the dunes in the middle of the night!

After singeing the eyebrows and filling the camera with pics, I was dropped back at one of the teahouses on the roadside, and it's simple to hitch a ride further south in the morning. I paid around USD5 for the bed and food at the teahouse.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Thank you squawkerys! What did you think of the place?
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

squawkerys

Post by squawkerys »

steven wrote:Thank you squawkerys! What did you think of the place?
I really enjoyed it since it's so bizarre and nothing like it anywhere. I got there around 6pm so got to see the changing appearance of the crater as well as the surrounding desert as the sun went down. All the better for meeting a group of French travellers who needed help "drinking all their red wine before Iran" :D
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Topic is locked: all questions and reports go in the Door to Hell Q&A: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1127
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D