Tajikistan - Uzbekistan crossing at Panjakent

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
steven
Admin
Admin

Penjikent / Panjakent Border Crossing Reports

Post by steven »

Here we collect crossing reports of the Penjikent/Panjakent border between Samarkand and Dushanbe.

See http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/tajikistan#uz for a summary.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Yes Man

Penjikent Border Crossing Reports

Post by Yes Man »

Hi,

Can anyone tell if this border from Tajikistan to Uzbekistan is open to foreigners? I will be there beginning of September.

Cheers
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Penjikent Border Crossing

Post by steven »

Still closed afaik like the last 5 years. Tajiks are optimistic about it though, they repaired the road. Let's see.
0 x

trevor warman

Post by trevor warman »

yes, as of end of may 2015... still closed..... for everyone..... though chinese are re building the road near Anyi, on the way to Panjikent......

apparently, the boss of Uzbek and boss of Tajik were like brothers.... now they don't get on , at all....
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

steven wrote:Still closed afaik like the last 5 years. Tajiks are optimistic about it though, they repaired the road. Let's see.
I think this is wishful thinking. Uzbek-Tajik relations are rather strained, despite (or perhaps because of) the large number of ethnic Tajiks in Uzbekistan. I can't imagine Uzbekistan opening a border that will primarily benefit Tajiks, and I suspect the are paving the short distance from Penjikent to the border only because they're paving the entire Zerafshan valley from Ayni, as Trevor says.

Anecdotally, when I was picking up my Uzbek visa in Dushanbe I talked to Tajiks who had been jerked around for weeks by the Uzbeks about getting visas to visit relatives. And I've also seen how the ridiculous Uzbek border formalities result in locals spending hours confined in tiny, confined, no-mans-land at some border crossings (I look like a local, so I didn't get to jump the queue).
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

I think optimism is really key in a place like Tajikistan or Uzbekistan. Without a bit of blue-sky thinking, nothing good would ever happen. Ever. Now, at least, some crazy reports of actually positive developments do reach us from time to time.
0 x

hkwoody

Post by hkwoody »

Any recent news on the Penjikent border crossing ?
If it's not open what's our best way of getting from Dushanbe to Samarkand overland ?
Thanks in advance.
0 x

giorgiorederoma

Post by giorgiorederoma »

hello any new for penjikent border crossing ? i m in dushambe and I would like to visit Penjikent and cross at the nearest borser with uzbekistan,i cannot find any new here in Dushambe...
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Still closed.
0 x

max90

Post by max90 »

Hello,

Is there any possibility it would be open for august? What is the fastest way to go from Samarkand to Pendjikent if it is still closed?
Thanks
0 x