Uzbekistan travel restrictions/reopening Q&A

All about Uzbekistan.
sion_sanky

Re: Uzbekistan travel restrictions/reopening Q&A

Post by sion_sanky »

Hi All,
Is there any mandatory 14 days quarantine requirement for incoming international travellers in Uzbekistan? I know that a negative RT PCR test is required, but some travel sites show that a 14 day quarantine is also needed.
https://blog.wego.com/uzbekistan-travel ... uirements/

How strictly is this enforced, or is it enforced at all? And how is the overall COVID-19 situation in UZ, just read that in neighbouring KG the authorities declared that the third wave has started.
http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/asiapa ... 011020.htm
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Here is what the US embassy in Uzbekistan says (updated 6/16)

Are U.S. citizens required to quarantine?
Only if they test positive on a PCR test after arrival. If US Citizens arrive with a valid negative test, they do not have to quarantine.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

sion_sanky

Post by sion_sanky »

steven wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:11 pm
Here is what the US embassy in Uzbekistan says (updated 6/16)

Are U.S. citizens required to quarantine?
Only if they test positive on a PCR test after arrival. If US Citizens arrive with a valid negative test, they do not have to quarantine.
Thanks for the reply Steven. It seems these are applicable only for US citizens. Has any consolidated list being released for all nationalities- i have an Indian passport. People who have crossed into UZ in the past 15-20 days- was anyone asked to quarantine, especially those who arrived by air?

Thanks
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Uzbekistan gets a lot of "party tourists" from India. They get a "quarantine hotel", where they party for 2 weeks with alcohol and girls, after which they leave back to India. So the quarantine does not mean that much, let's say.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

sion_sanky

Post by sion_sanky »

steven wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:01 am
Uzbekistan gets a lot of "party tourists" from India. They get a "quarantine hotel", where they party for 2 weeks with alcohol and girls, after which they leave back to India. So the quarantine does not mean that much, let's say.
Yes, these kind of tourists account for majority of travellers from India to UZ. Fortunately (or in this case unfortunately), i am a solo backpacker looking to explore UZ sometime during late/mid July- Early Aug. Looking to start with Tashkent, since its the only Central Asian city connected directly to Delhi at the moment. Unfortunately, Uzbekistan has made the entry norms for travellers from India a bit strict- reducing the frequency of the Delhi-Tashkent flight from twice a week to once a week from 18th June, and a mandatory 14 days quarantine on arrival (this was introduced on 8th May, as per the health ministry's telegram channel- announcement link below- in Uzbek)

I checked with few other Indian travellers/youtubers who were in the country during this period, apparently they were made to fill a form but no one stopped or asked them about it at any point during their travels. However, i do not feel it appropriate to knowingly travel and not honor the quarantine declaration, hence putting my plans on hold for the moment. Considering the epidemiological situation in India is rapidly improving (~60K cases/day- still high compared to European standards, but a big improvement considering the size and population, and the peak of ~400K cases/day in mid-may), i am hopeful that the uzbek authorities may change their rules.
1 x

ArtsyVandelay

Post by ArtsyVandelay »

steven wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:01 am
Haha when I was in Tashkent, I heard about this from several people.Took me by surprise because I didn't know Tashkent was a sex tourism destination for travelers from a certain part of the world. I had read about this bar at Hostel Uzbekistan that had a decent view and asked my date if we could go there to have a drink after dinner and she suggested it was a dingy place infested with sex tourists. Was enough to put me off.
1 x

adi

Post by adi »

Just noticed the German embassy actually publishes a list of border crossings, including opening hours. Alas they also recommend checking with Uzbektourism +998-71-2333854 for up-to-date info.
1 x

itfcfan

Post by itfcfan »

There are new restrictions in Uzbekistan today until 12th July (i.e. for 2 weeks). According to media, most roads in/out of Tashkent have been blocked so you need to pass through a checkpoint and give a valid reason (e.g. flying out of Tashkent airport) to pass. This is linked to a recent rise in covid cases:
https://menafn.com/1102343552/Uzbekista ... strictions
2 x

frunze

Post by frunze »

Don't trust me fully but those measures are a bit weird.

https://uz.sputniknews.ru/20210625/v-uz ... 13585.html

https://uz.sputniknews.ru/20210625/spet ... 14715.html

My understanding of this is: the entry restrictions apply to bus and car. Trains and planes do not count.

And even so, according to the second link, international tourists are excluded (????).

Other than this it shouldn't impact much your visit, unless the situation escalates. Bars and restaurants closing 20.00 are an issue but i don't believe many come to Tashkent from western countries for the nightlife.
2 x

Devidyal

Zhibek Zholy Kazakh/Uzbek Border crossing right this minute

Post by Devidyal »

Hello all! I had read horror stories about the Zhibek zholy border crossing and we have our own car so we drove to Kaplanbek. When we arrived there were only semi trucks, no cars at all. We parked our car and walked up to the gate. Someone came out and told us this border is only for trucks.

I had the distinct feeling he was lying to us and then he asked for "money for tea" and we know from our travels what that means. But we're only 48 hours into our trip, and we've already had a breakdown, and we didn't feel like dealing with the frustration of trying to find out if he was lying to us or not so we just left and drove to Zhibek Zholy.

There's no one here.. like maybe three other cars. It's still taking forever. I couldn't imagine the stress of this place on a busy day. It must be pure insanity. We've been here two and half hours already and every time we think we're ready to go they call us over to some other booth and start asking us a string of new questions.

Everyone is kind. Everyone is friendly. No one has been rude to us. No one has even hinted at bribes. It's just as if the bureaucracy will never end.

Anyway, the border is definitely open. I'm sure we'll eventually get over. Heck, they've already stamped our passports!! We don't even know why we're sitting here now. They had given us the all clear to go, we were walking to our car, then they called us back, pointed to a bench, and asked us to sit down "for a minute".

I promised I'd write about the land border when I got the chance. It's open. It's annoying AF, but it's open.
3 x