Tajikistan Corona travel restrictions / e-visa issues Q&A

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
el_pescador

Re: Tajikistan Corona travel restrictions / e-visa issues Q&A

Post by el_pescador »

I entered Tajikistan today (24/9/2021) via the Samarkand - Panjakent border crossing and wanted to share my experience with you guys :

I took a private taxi from Samarkand to the border checkpoint for 80,000 som. There isn't any public transportation that goes there however there are a few shared taxis that head there every morning from what I hear. The Uzbeks let me out no questions asked and I didn't run into any issues until I reached the Tajik passport control booth. The customs agent told me that foreigners are only permitted to enter the country via the Dushanbe airport and that he would have to ask his boss if they could make an exception for me. I then started speaking with his boss and told him that going back into Uzbekistan would be very inconvenient for me, that I heard reports of other foreigners entering Tajikistan via the same border checkpoint recently, and that I would love to make a "deal" with them. He told me that he was going to do everything in his power to get me permission to cross but had to discuss the matter with a number of people who were higher up than him on the chain of command. I spent around two hours waiting in front of the passport control booth before he came back and said that I was good to go. They never asked me for a bribe. One important thing to note here is that I speak fluent Russian and I spoke to them in Russian. I imagine that someone that speaks neither Tajik nor Russian would have just been denied entry. I was also never asked to present a covid test result.

I got swarmed by a horde of taxi drivers as soon as I left the border control area. They initially wanted to charge me 100 Somoni (8.82 USD) to get to Panjakent but I talked them down to 56 somoni. It turns out that the standard price is only 20 somoni so keep that in mind if you make the same journey.

I'm a US passport holder and had an evisa that I got expedited via Caravanistan's connection. It cost me $70 USD (which is pretty excessive in my opinion) but I got my visa emailed to me six hours after placing my order. Their guy was very responsive but had no established way of accepting payment remotely which I thought was a little odd. I agreed to pay him in cash when I get to Dushanbe.
3 x

frunze

Post by frunze »

This story is even heart warming. Everyone involved was legitimately concerned in finding a solution for you and pushing the argument to higher and higher levels. You thought, not without reason, that a bribe would be requested but instead they were concerned with and your travel· All of this legally, btw.
0 x

el_pescador

Post by el_pescador »

For sure. I was super grateful to them.
0 x

stefank

Post by stefank »

I still haven't recieved my e-visa and I had applied and paid it on september 16th. Should I be worried?
0 x