Armenia - Iran border crossing (Nordooz - Agarak)

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Armenia - Iran border crossing

Post by steven »

Please read and post reports on the Nordooz – Agarak border crossing between Armenia and Iran below.

We summarize all info on the Armenia border crossings and Iran border crossings pages.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Martin

Armenia - Iran border crossing (Nordooz - Agarak)

Post by Martin »

Does anyone have any info? I can't find anything clear or precise; so it's difficult to plan anything. I don't even know if it's really possible. I'm encouraged though that the borders map shows a green icon over there :).

I'll be grateful for any info you can give me,

Thx
Martin
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Caucasus (Armenia)-Iran border crossing

Post by steven »

I am not up to date but it was always open in the past.
0 x

AUM

Post by AUM »

I crossed the border in November 2014. I was almost the only person there. Maybe 1 or 2 locals.
The problem will be getting there if you don't have your own transport. I hitchhiked there, and it was one of my hardest experiences. It is still at least half a day trip from Kapan, but hardly anyone goes there.
Armenian people seemed totally oblivious to anything Iranian to me. I didn't meet anyone who even ever thought about going to Iran.
The mountains in Armenia on this stretch are stunning though, and it is really funny to see how suddenly the landscape changes into a desert as soon as you come into Iran.
From the Iranian side, as far as I remember you can only hitchhike or take a shared taxi to Tabriz. No train or bus.

Good luck! It's very beautiful there.
0 x

ivars

Post by ivars »

If someone may still find this info useful, I can confirm that the border is fully operational and (in my experience) easy to cross.
Crossed the Nordooz border from ARM to IRN on March 22nd 2015 on bicycle. Bags were xrayed on Armenian side but not even chcked on the Iranian one.
Some people in the queue but the whole process of passport checks and crossing both sides took in total no longer than an hour.

I wrote a blog post about this and first days in Iran here: http://hmroads.com/2015/05/islamic-repu ... -tea-iran/ (more storytelling than actual practical info)
0 x
The Road Less Traveled to the Place Furthest Away
hmroads.com -- facebook.com/HMRoads -- Instagram

nuria

Post by nuria »

We crossed on 3th July 2015.
No problems, easy, only need to pay.
We catched a marshutka from Goris to Kapan in Syunik St near Gusan Ashot St (1.500 Drams) We stayed there at 10.00 am and booked seat, but the van left at 12.00. Arrive at Kapan around 13.00pm, at 15.00 leave another marshutka to Agarak (2.000 Drams).
Arriving to Agarak, just in the crossroad between the border and Agarak is a hotel, with no name, only "Hotel". You can stay there for 6.000 Drams or in the city at Marishot Hotel (bargain for 8.000 the double with share bathroom). There is an small restaurant in the square, local, not expensive or another big and fashion, Pizza Restaurant with big lights.
The day after, we went down the street and try to hitch-hicking to the border (1 km, but very hot). From there walked to the Armenian Immigration post (on the right side of the building) and walked to the bridge. Easy also in the Iranian Immigration.
The problem was nobody crossed this border, only we, so we need to catch a taxi to Jolfa (12 USD) and from there bargain with lots and lots of drivers for another share taxi to Tabriz 200.000 Riels (100.000 each).
0 x

tbcelina

Post by tbcelina »

Hi!

I'm thinking of doing the opposite -crossing from Iran to Armenia- and looking at the map, I have a doubt I need to clear.

The road from Jolfa to Agarak seems to run right through the border between Iran and Azerbaijan. I just wanted to confirm that it doesn't actually cross the border, ie, that I won't need an Azerbaijani transit visa when crossing from Iran to Armenia?

Most of the accounts I've read online have been of people crossing from Armenia to Iran, if anyone has any experiences to share about the trip in the opposite direction, they will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Celina.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Hi Celina,

if you look at the map closely, you will see there are actually 2 roads: 1 north of the border (the river is the border) with Nakchivan, 1 south of the border. Taxis will take the southern road, so they will not need to cross into Azerbaijan. So no worries there.
0 x

TheCrazyTravel

Post by TheCrazyTravel »

No problems there, but extremely slow in both sides. Armenian guards spent 1 hour staring at my passports stamps with a magnifier. In Iranian side they scanned my bags and asked again similar questions than the ones when applying for the visa or for the LOI.
0 x

Kidp3

Post by Kidp3 »

I experienced no problems either. On the Armenian side, the woman scrutinized my passport for a couple minutes, left for maybe 10 minutes, then came back and processed it normally.

I entered the Iran side during the lunch break, so I gave my passport to the guy manning the xray machine and took a seat while I waited. He grabbed me after 5 minutes, and the guy processing the passport questioned me why I had entered to the other side without getting cleared first. Was sweating for a bit, but then he was smirking by the end of it. I had to wait for the other guy to come back to get my stamp and also do my fingerprints. He seemed very apologetic about having to get ink on my fingers, since their machine was broken. Oh best of all, no questions about where my "guide" was, since I am on a Canadian passport!
1 x