Current situation Iran

All about Iran
Roadtophnompenh

Re: Current situation Iran

Post by Roadtophnompenh »

i crossed in october from TUR to PAK when the scarf-protests were going on, and also some shootings in Zahedan about the Balouch-problem: I had neverever any problems, as long as you keep a bit low profile, dont believe what you see in western media, i asked several times people in Iran, and they all said the same: of course there are protests, but its blown up by western media. You can easy make a video from 50 protesting people and make it that way it looks like there are 5000 . . . Oooh, yes, i travelled by own car . . . 10 EUROcent a liter of petrol makes it funny to drive and drive . . .
0 x

ramondevic

Post by ramondevic »

I entered Iran through Turkey in the fall of 2022 just when the problems started but despite the very bad situation for women (and men, of course) and that in the big cities from mid-afternoon you could see a lot of movement and a lot of police (and the internet was down) if you didn't go near the demonstrations there were no problems.
Due to an accident I had to leave the motorcycle in Isfahan and return by plane and in two weeks I am going back there to collect the motorcycle and continue the journey.

My contacts in Isfahan tell me that the situation is calmer abroad and that there are no problems, surely it must be more or less similar in the rest of the country.

I advise everyone to travel to Iran, a magnificent country with very nice and welcoming people.
2 x

AmazingWorldBikeTour

Post by AmazingWorldBikeTour »

We travel Iran by bicycle on our world tour for over one month now. Conditions were very good for us. So far we did about 1000 km from the Armenian border via the Kurdistan mountains an reached Saveh now. We will extend our 45 day visa for another month when we reach Isfahan soon. As most of you might have heard the people we meet in Iran are extremely friendly, kind and hospitable.
1 x

Lagerfeld

Current situation Iran

Post by Lagerfeld »

[quote] . . . the people we meet in Iran are extremely friendly, kind and hospitable.[/quote]

BTW this is nothing special - I met all over the world " extremely friendly, kind and hospitable " people.
0 x

AmazingWorldBikeTour

Post by AmazingWorldBikeTour »

We changed plans and extended our e-visa in Tehran at the Central Immigration Police office. Cost was about 1 Dollar per person and you need a bank card or gift card for the payment (Iranians can make them for you at Mellat and also Sepah bank). Processing took one day. You need one passport picture (women with headscarf), very few questions were asked, and we got the 30 days extension we asked for. We even know a person who asked for 60 days and got 60 in the same office, but for us it was not necessary.
Lagerfeld wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:33 am
BTW this is nothing special - I met all over the world " extremely friendly, kind and hospitable " people.
We would not have mentioned it if it would be on a similar level as in other countries we've travelled.
2 x

TautTruffle

Post by TautTruffle »

So many questions, so few answers! Please, update with your experiences! Thanks.
0 x

GoldenPolyglot

Post by GoldenPolyglot »

So it sounds like it's pretty safe to travel to?

Is visiting Umbria, Khoy, or Tabriz worth it from Van, Turkiye?
0 x

Kiwibirdz

Post by Kiwibirdz »

I'm writing from Isfahan. The country is totally safe. Protests are in the past. There is certainly widespread disdain for the govt, economic hardships, and social issues remaining. That said, the people love to see tourists and you'll be warmly welcomed. Especially in Tehran, plenty of women don't wear a hijab. Much less common outside of Tehran and non existent outside of Isfahan and Shiraz. The feeling is the government is slowly turning the pressure back on the youth wave, ie denying metro tickets for dress code (Isfahan) and economic coercion, ie no jobs for dress code violators. Rampant inflation unfortunately. It's a complex place but I assure you that the people are really incredible, tarof is almost too much. You ask for directions to the bus station and they're walking you there trying to pay for everything. Constantly invited into homes, I can go on and on. Incredibly good hearts, honest people, super helpful, it's actually far easier to travel than I anticipated re signage/ roman numbers, there's plenty of anglo information. I'm rambling so shout out with questions. Highly recommend Iran
4 x

LifeBehindBars

Post by LifeBehindBars »

Kiwibirdz wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:32 pm
I'm writing from Isfahan. The country is totally safe. Protests are in the past. There is certainly widespread disdain for the govt, economic hardships, and social issues remaining. That said, the people love to see tourists and you'll be warmly welcomed. Especially in Tehran, plenty of women don't wear a hijab. Much less common outside of Tehran and non existent outside of Isfahan and Shiraz. The feeling is the government is slowly turning the pressure back on the youth wave, ie denying metro tickets for dress code (Isfahan) and economic coercion, ie no jobs for dress code violators. Rampant inflation unfortunately. It's a complex place but I assure you that the people are really incredible, tarof is almost too much. You ask for directions to the bus station and they're walking you there trying to pay for everything. Constantly invited into homes, I can go on and on. Incredibly good hearts, honest people, super helpful, it's actually far easier to travel than I anticipated re signage/ roman numbers, there's plenty of anglo information. I'm rambling so shout out with questions. Highly recommend Iran
Have you seen many Bike Travellers in Iran?

Are you concerned with having an Iranian Stamp in your Passport? - Excuse my ignorance, but what restrictions will you face having that stamp in your Passport? I understand that entering the USA could be problematic....perhaps that is not an issue?
How are you dealing with a 100% Cash economy? - is this accurate, ie - no credit or debit cards accepted anywhere! Did you enter Iran with enough exchangeable foreign currency for your entire trip?
0 x

Kiwibirdz

Post by Kiwibirdz »

Hello,

Yep, there were three moto tourers in Isfahan. Very hot for them in July.

So Iran does not stamp your passport for this reason. My last flight did not have a PNR code. You're pretty much off the grid and so could pretend you were never there. A little research tells me that's possible. That risk profile is personal I suppose, you can still pay the money for the US embassy visa.

Take cash, that's correct. It's a very cheap country though. One US Dollar is about 50 toman. Metro ride is 3. A sim card with 3GB was 55. Street kebab and Pepsi was 130. Snapp (their Uber) ride for 15mins maybe 35. Hostel room anywhere from 5-15USD. Tourists pay more for the top destinations. Say 100-200 toman on average. From memory Golestan Palace was the most expensive at 600. Persepolis was only 100. Intercity VIP bus between 50-200 toman. With inflation that's all floating but against the dollar you could live off 20usd p/d without trying too hard. Obviously take heaps more cash than this as running out would be terrible.

My top tip that I don't see printed is that App Store VPNs didn't work in Iran. Travelers are Bluetooth transferring Iran based VPN files, helping each other out. The VPN situation could really fuck you up if you're not lucky/careful. Download like 5 of them and hope one works or at least start your first night at a popular destination to get sorted.
2 x