Russia-Abkhazia-Georgia

Post your itinerary questions and trip reports here
Crazydre
Visa expert
Visa expert

Russia-Abkhazia-Georgia

Post by Crazydre »

Hello, I'm considering doing this route as part of a much bigger (overland) tour (clockwise)

I've heard it's impossible to Transit Abkhazia on the way from Russia to Georgia. Is this true, and why? From what I've heard it's because the Georgians won't let you in without already having a Georgian entry stamp, but since I'll only Show the Georgians my ID Card (which is sufficient), I can't imagine that being an issue (if they ask, I could say I entered Abkhazia from Georgia and I don't see how they could prove otherwise)

And yes, I could also go via Vladikavkaz so as to avoid the Abkhaz issue, but that's my secondary option
Last edited by Crazydre on Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

likespinninplates

Re: Russia-Abkhazia-Georgia

Post by likespinninplates »

Entry to Georgia from Russia through Abkhazia is illegal under Georgian law as Georgia views Abkhazia as a Russian-occupied region. This use to be punishable with a prison sentence, but is now a 2000GEL (720E) fine for first time offenders AFAIK. That being said, when I crossed Georgia-Abkhazia and Abkhazia-Georgia, the Georgian border guards didn't stop me or ever bothered to look at me.
1 x

Crazydre
Visa expert
Visa expert

Post by Crazydre »

I know if you enter Moldova from Ukraine via Transnistria, you can register your entry at a Moldovan office to avoid problems. If the same is possible when entering Georgia via Abkhazia, I sure could do that (showing my Train ticket Moscow-Adler to prove when I entered)

I'm asking myself if the Georgians scan ID cards on entry (due to no space for stamping). If they do, I'd obviously have to register somehow to avoid problems exiting Georgia for Turkey.
0 x

likespinninplates

Post by likespinninplates »

I cannot see how that could be possible. I don't have the link, but I remember reading an official Georgian statement in which they decriminalized entry into Georgia (via Abkhazia from Russia) but nevertheless still prosecute with a fine as it is considered an illegal entry into the country. I arrived via the ferry from Ukraine and they checked everyone's documents and scanned all passports, so I imagine they also scan all IDs. My passport was scanned at the Turkish border when exiting too.

In short, Vladikavkaz is the safer option (with the added bonus of seeing Kazbegi and the Military Highway), but according to the Wikipedia page, the fine might only be 400GEL, which would be better than 2000GEL. The rule of thumb is to entry and exit Abkhazia via the same border, but maybe you could be lucky.
0 x

Provodnik
Trains expert
Trains expert

Post by Provodnik »

In 2014 I did it the other way, from Georgia to Abkhazia to Russia. That was no problem, but I haven't tried to enter Georgia agian with the same passport. And of course this is the easier direction.
Would changing the direction of the whole circle be an option for you?

I also did Ukraine - Transnistria - Moldova, but I had the impressions that relations between Moldova and Transnitria were much better than between Georgia and Abkhazia.
0 x

Crazydre
Visa expert
Visa expert

Post by Crazydre »

Provodnik wrote:Would changing the direction of the whole circle be an option for you?
Not really seeing as I'd like to meet up with a friend on the ferry Stockholm-Helsinki on the same date.

Going via Vladikavkaz is an option though, if I cannot go through Abkhazia without getting stuck in Georgia or heavily fined
0 x