Embassy report: Tajik visa in Washington DC

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
steven
Admin
Admin

Re: is the Tajik embassy in DC being difficult?

Post by steven »

Please read and post reports on the Tajik embassy in Washington D.C. below.

We summarize all info in the embassy reports of the Tajik visa page.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

VJDELPETRA

Embassy report: Tajik visa in Washington DC

Post by VJDELPETRA »

I recently called and had an unpleasant conversation with the Tajik consul in DC, having read all the requirements in their website for a tourist visa application, I simply want to verify if it's all up to date. He wanted me to get an LOI and wants to know the places I am going and to book my accomodation in advance, which means to my understaning I need to book a tour! I want to backpack and do it myself, I asked him why some embassies, i.e. Istanbul, Berlin or Bishkek does not require an LOI, and he does,he got irritated and told me your country asks for so many requirements for Tajiks to get a visa to US, so why not us?(well he has a point) If you are not satisfied then go and apply for your visa with them(cities mentoned) or just fly to Dushanbe and get visa at airport! Then he hangs up on me..I thought they are trying to promote their country as a tourism destination, why give US citizens a hard time getting a visa at DC then? Now I may have to forego my plans of visiting Tajikistan because of the red tape and costs of a simple tourist visa, and mind you GBAO permit if they issue, is an added cost. Any advice from fellow travellers? opinions?
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

The "red tape and costs" of getting a LOI may make you forego your visit to Tajikistan? Really? You can get a LOI for less than $20, and possibly for free, or pick your visa up along your way if you don't want to get your vise in DC. So far as visa-related hassles go, this is pretty minor, and different embassies do things differently.

I have much less tolerance for Turkey's visa policies, which amount to little more than a tourist tax.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Why not get a visa in Bishkek? Visa-free for Americans, get it in 1 day, continue your journey to Tajikistan.
0 x

breakfastbuffets

Post by breakfastbuffets »

I just wanted to share my experience at the Tajik Embassy in DC too:

I'm an undergraduate studying in DC and I went to the Tajik Embassy there in person three weeks ago. Unfortunately, the staff there didn't allow me to apply for a tourist visa as I didn't have a LOI, had no hotel booking, and did not print out the application form... I want to backpack and travel independently in Tajikistan too. Anyway, the guy then told me not to worry and just get my visa on arrival in Dushanbe, as well as apply for the GBAO permit there (Context: I'm a Singapore citizen/No Tajik Embassy in Singapore).
0 x

abombardier

Post by abombardier »

Hello,

First of all, thank you Caravanistan for this great forum and for your very useful website. We are 2 Canadians planning to visit Uzbekistan and Tajikistan in June 2016. We are currently preparing everything to obtain the tajik visa at the DC embassy in the USA. I have read the update from March 2016 for the Washington DC tajik embassy. The person in the update mentioned that he had to send an itinerary. Does anyone know how detailed and specific this itinerary must be? We will be backpacking and we will not plan and reserve every hotel in advance, especially the Pamir region part. I was wondering if it would be enough to put an approximate date and the city we are planning to visit.

Thank you very much in advance for any help!

Regards,

Amélie
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Hi Amelie,

I don't think you need to list every hotel, just a general itinerary should be enough as per my understanding. Just tick off the traditional tourist boxes.
0 x

Lorence

Post by Lorence »

Hi,

I am also a Canadian planning to travel independantly to Tajikistan in September 2016 to bike through the Pamirs. I want to get my visa in advance because I'm hoping to fly in to Samarkand and it seems Uzbekistan will require a copy of my Tajik visa to give me a visa (as a proof of onward travel/departure).

If I understand correctly to get my visa I should send to the Tajik embassy in Washington DC:

- my passeport
- passeport photo
- photocopy of my passeport in case they want one
- tajik tourist visa form
- Itinary with some accomodation names (no need for actual reservations)
- explicit demande for GBAO permit
- method of payment
- return pre paid envelope

-... and hope for the best!?

Am I correct to think I do probably do not need a LOI??
If I do HOW DO I GET IT??

Do I need to send a copy of my flights (to Samarkand, Uzbekistan, and from Bishkek, Kyrgyztan) ?

Thank you so much for sharing your info with us!

Best,

Laurence
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

You can't get visa on arrival in Samarkand and as a Canadian you need a LoI for any kind of Uzbek visa.

Read the visa pages here and a lot of questions will be answered.
0 x

abombardier

Post by abombardier »

steven wrote:Hi Amelie,

I don't think you need to list every hotel, just a general itinerary should be enough as per my understanding. Just tick off the traditional tourist boxes.
Thank you Steven!
0 x