UK to the Sea of Japan

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
steven
Admin
Admin

Re: UK to the Sea of Japan

Post by steven »

There are always cheaters. Buy from a reliable company with standards. I fill up at Gazprom in Kazakhstan. A little bit more expensive than some non-brand names, but you are sure about the quality.

Lots of people have passed through on their diesel cars, all have survived. Only Uzbekistan is a bit of an issue due to few diesel points of sale, especially in cotton harvest season, especially in the western desert. Otherwise you should be fine.
1 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

DAEMO79

Post by DAEMO79 »

Steve,

You are the destroyer of dreams and guardian of misfortune, :-)

Bummer, I was hoping the Micra would defy physics. No Valley of Balls for me then. Have fun Mike!!

Thanks for the warning.
2 x

rads

Post by rads »

Many thanks Steve.

Lol, Damian :-)
0 x

DAEMO79

Post by DAEMO79 »

Hey Steve,

Thought I'd do a quick update.

We drove the military highway from Georgia to Russia on the 21 July . Whether it's normal or just the 2 week closure and road repairs it took us 13hrs from leavin Georgia to getting to the border of Russia. This also included 4hrs in a 40 degree holding cell without water , aircon, Windows, or explanation as to why. Eventually we were told our cultural visas were not appropriate for our trip, but the Armenian guard liked my wife and let us through??!!!

Askatran to Kazakhstan border is an easy enough drive. We had a pontoon crossing (110 roubles) at on the way and only met one police officer with gold teeth to busying taking a bribe from some other driver .

The border to atyrau is shit on a stick as previously posted in the forums. Ironically the car tyres survived all that way only to get a massive puncture on flat city Tarmac. This cost 200 tenge (60pence) to get repaired in Ural.
Car insurance was 15000 tenge at the border , total scam so we drove 40 km to the nearest city and paid 7500 , I am sure it should be cheaper?? It was difficult finding where to do this so we went to the enemy, the highway police and asked them, they had someone from the post office meet us and we went from there.
Marc warned me against driving this road, but it's a rite of passage for our trip, now our rear passages are paying the price...

Kyrgyzstan border at Talas/Taraz was easy 1 hr. 50 % of the Roads are dirt / metal roads and the Nissan micra survived them all.
Car got broken into in Bishkek of course. Laptop stolen duh - I know I know.
Heading to Kazakhstan then Russia today.
Mongolia may be off the cards due to this new duty at arrival issue

FYI . Per country- Serbian drivers are crazy, Turkish are mental and dangerous, Georgians are friggin c£&@!! Oh and the Dutch are arrogant and aggressive drivers.
Russians and Kazakhs appear normal.
1 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Thanks very much! Very entertaining update! I am surprised at the expensive insurance.

Keep it going! (and tell me about those Dutch....sheesh!)
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D