Chinese border closure w Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan - 2016

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
steven
Admin
Admin

Chinese border closure w Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan - 2016

Post by steven »

I could not actually believe this when I first heard about this in March, but it now is confirmed by other travelers: the land borders between China and Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan are closed to foreigners.

Heard it first by e-mail on March 17th, has since been confirmed in this forum post.

At the same time, Chinese visas have also become more complicated in Almaty and Bishkek.

I will keep the Chinese visa page as up-to-date as possible throughout the summer. All news about the border closure more than welcome below!
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Chinese border closure w Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan - 2016

Post by steven »

Have been looking a bit further into the matter now: recent reports indicate that Irkeshtam is open from the Chinese side. No reports yet from the Kyrgyz side.

http://caravanistan.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1617
0 x

LukeKUSA

Post by LukeKUSA »

Well this is quite concerning, as I am planning on taking a bus from Almaty to Urumqi on Sunday. Do you have other reports/sources of information on the potential border closure? I had a bit of tough time with the Chinese visa process here in Almaty, but I've been told I should be able to pick up my three-month, single-entry visa on Friday. I can update you on that/provide more details on the experience if you are interested.

Update: I called both the US and Chinese Consulates here in Almaty and both told me that they had not received any notice of any border closings and they both think everything is normal. The gentleman at the Chinese consulate also said, and I quote, "Huh. We haven't given out a tourist visa in almost a year," so I'm we'll see if I get my visa tomorrow as I was told.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Ok, false alarm then it seems. Still wonder why the visa agents are saying this then...

Please update us when you get your visa! It's quite funny because I know for a fact many people got their tourist visas through Serik in the past year, so what the guy told you is definitely not entirely accurate.
0 x

ontheroadfinally

Post by ontheroadfinally »

Luke; can you please let us all know if you've been allowed to purchase a bus/coach ticket anyway. Any other info is deeply appreciated. Thanks.

Myself (UK passport) and my girlfriend (USA passport) are going to be wanting a Chinese visa soon, and we're wondering where we should go to get it.

Cheers.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Just to add, I talked to some more people on the Chinese side: they had never heard of this. So it seems ok to cross if you manage to get a visa.

@ontheroadfinally: I would try at home first, then Tblisi if you can, Tehran second option.
0 x

ontheroadfinally

Hello Steven,

the problem with getting a Chinese visa at home is that after I leave London, it'll be about 6 weeks before I want to enter China. Apparently, entrance into China has to be effected within one month after a visa has been issued. If that's true, then that's no good for me.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Hi,

there are also visas with 3 months validity before you enter. Check with the London embassy if they give them, it will save the hassle of getting it on the road.
0 x

ontheroadfinally

Hello Steven, and ta for replying again. I've been trying to contact the London Embassy for yonks. Nobody picks up the phone or replies to my e-mails. Plus, as I plan on going to Mongolia also (and then return to China), I want to get a double entry Chinese visa. If I get one in London, that means that I'll have to get another visa somewhere else, as I won't be able to effect both entries into China within the 3 month validity period. Consequently, I'd rather get a double entry visa closer to the time when I want to enter China.

Do you know if Luke got his visa ok?
0 x

LukeKUSA

Post by LukeKUSA »

Howdy,

I've not yet received my visa. Hopefully I'll have it in hand Monday. I'll update with details of the process once I get my passport back. That said, unless you speak Russian I 100% do not recommend getting a China visa in Almaty. I speak Russian and I've still had a hell of a time with the process.
0 x