Cross-border market in Khorog and Ishkashim

All about Tajikistan. Expert: Pamirski, Christian77
steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Cross-border market in Khorogh (Tem)

Post by steven »

Please read and post reports on the cross-border market in Tem near Khorog below. This is not the Ishkashim border and market!
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Cross-border market in Khorog and Ishkashim

Post by bwv812 »

A more interesting question is about the border market that happens near Korogh. I've never actually heard a report from a traveler on this market—only about the one near Ishkashim—and I wonder if it's open even though the Ishkashim one is closed.
Last edited by steven on Sun May 29, 2016 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

wtcrit

Re: Cross-border market in Khorogh

Post by wtcrit »

I was in Khorog last week, although the border market had been closed there was a strong rumour it was reopening that Saturday (9th July). Even PECTA seemed hopeful. I have no idea what actually happened as I had left by then.

This is just for the KHOROG market, Ishkoshim remains closed. Fwiw I think Ishkoshim is the only one that takes place in no man's land - the ones in Khorog and Kalai-Khumb are both on the Tajik side of the bridge, I believe.
2 x

Aleco

Post by Aleco »

I was in Khorog around the second week of August and the afghan market was open. Ishkashim one closed.
2 x

seysearles

Post by seysearles »

Aleco wrote:I was in Khorog around the second week of August and the afghan market was open. Ishkashim one closed.
Hi Aleco, any idea what day(s) of the week its open? Also do you actually cross into Afghanistan or is it in "no-mans land"?
0 x

olooov

Post by olooov »

seysearles wrote:
Aleco wrote:I was in Khorog around the second week of August and the afghan market was open. Ishkashim one closed.
Hi Aleco, any idea what day(s) of the week its open? Also do you actually cross into Afghanistan or is it in "no-mans land"?
We were in Khorog on 01/07/2017 and market was on, after being off for three weekends. Roughly third of the stalls were filed, making it seem bit empty.
Next weekend 08/07/2017 it was canceled again.
As far as I know it's on only on Saturday, if not canceled.
You don't cross to Afghanistan, or it's not on "no mans land", it's fenced in area on Tajikistan side.
1 x
China to Europe by bike, 13000km.com

robert

Post by robert »

Update according to the Khorough tourist information today:

Khorogh cross-border market is closed today and has been closed for around a month. Ishkashim market has been closed for two years now.
1 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

The Ishkashim border market still remains closed with uncertain future opening. However, the Tem (near Khorog) border market with Afghanistan is open each Saturday from 9am to 14pm.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

PhillyG

Re: Cross-border market in Khorog and Ishkashim

Post by PhillyG »

I second Steven's report: the Ishkashem market is closed and according to locals will remain so for the next little while. Best to ask someone who runs one of the BnBs there in advance so you're not disappointed.
0 x

matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

steven wrote:The Ishkashim border market still remains closed with uncertain future opening. However, the Tem (near Khorog) border market with Afghanistan is open each Saturday from 9am to 14pm.
What kind of items can be bought at the market?
0 x
SIGNATURE
2014 Scottish End2End 1 month
2015 Pamir Highway Tajikistan & Kyrgyzstan for 2 months
2016 Sri Lanka for 1 month.
2017 Herbrides Lewis Harris 2 weeks
2018 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
On a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.