Security in East Turkey - Kurdistan

Azerbaijan, Pakistan, Mongolia, Russia, Caucasus and beyond. Expert: Milad
guisch2000

Security in East Turkey - Kurdistan

Postby guisch2000 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:47 am

Hi all,

during the next days we will start our trip from Italy to China.
Has anybody some nes regarding the security situation in Eastern Turkey (Nemrut Dagi, Lake Van and onwards to the Iranian border?

Thanks in advance.

Guido
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Security in East Turkey - Kurdistan

Postby steven » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:47 am

I would avoid all towns listed in this article: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-turke ... SKCN0YM1GN

Use of phosphorous bombs especially dangerous for passers-by.

Around Van seems quiet now, but still checkpoints are likely.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

rienesl

Postby rienesl » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:38 am

I rushed trough in April, using the "middle" border crossing to Khoy. The locals at Turkey said, I should stay on the main roads, lots of checkpoints. But I'd do it definitely again.
0 x

Gunnar

Postby Gunnar » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:01 pm

I have been to Turkish Kurdistan about 30 times, and the situation in the area is in general not so good right now.
But it depends on where in the area you go.

First of all, avoid Diyarbakır, the largest and politically most extreme of all Kurdish cities. You should also avoid Mardin and all provinces and towns close to the Iraqi border east of Şanlıurfa. (These are the same places that are listed in the article linked by Steven.)

Nemrut Dağı (there are two of them...which one do you mean?) and Lake Van and the areas east of Van close to the Iranian border shouldn't be a problem.

Gunnar.
1 x

Peshwari

Postby Peshwari » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:50 pm

Have just spent the last two weeks travelling through South East, before last week there seemed to be a period of relative calm but due to the imprisonment of the HDP MPs don't know how long it will last. Travelled through Midyat/Mardin region and all through Van heading towards Hakkari. Apparently much of the old town of Diyarbakir has been transformed into rubble, so if like me your a history buff, there isnt much left to see. Met other travellers who travelled to Sanliurfa and said it was fine. There are check-points everywhere, so have your passport in hand and a good explanation as to where you are going and why. There have been frequent cuts to the internet as of late, they will usually allow an hour or two per day and social media is generally cut altogether. I met a French national who has beaten very badly by the police, interrogated and forced to sign documents that he would keep his mouth shut.. Just be careful if you are a solo male. I as a solo female did not receive any hassle like this. Hope this helps.
2 x

Cat

Postby Cat » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:07 am

Hi,

for all that would be interested: we (german & australian) have just been travelling by motorbikes in south-east Turkey from Adana via Gaziantep, Sanliurfa, Diyarbakir, Batman on to Van and Dogubayazit to cross into Iran. We haven´t met anything but friendly people on all that route. Within city boundaries or outside, just friendly, normal people being interested in our view on Turkey and Kurdistan and being very helpful with bike repair, directions, finding accomodation, etc.. No harassment, no suspect or dangerous situations (except for ice on the road ;-)), not too many police checkpoints only one wanting to see our passports. Instead we were given lots of smiles by lovely kurdish people, served tea and invited for lunches spontaneously by total strangers.

Save and happy travels,
Cat
1 x