Unrest in Central Asia - fall 2016 edition

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
steven
Admin
Admin

Unrest in Central Asia - fall 2016 edition

Post by steven »

More and more sources claiming Karimov, Uzbek president, is dead. With the bomb blast in Bishkek, everyone is on high alert for Independence Day in Bishkek as well. Tajikistan celebrates on September 9th.

If you have questions (or even better, answers) on how all this affects travel in Central Asia, deposit them here, please. For now, no border closures (other than the ones we already know about), visa refusals, ... are reported.
Last edited by steven on Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: split topic and bomb blast update
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Re: Uzbekistan closed 20 Aug - 5 Sep

Post by bwv812 »

Decent background from the nytimes for those interested:
http://nyti.ms/2bU1f1N

Also, there was an explosion at the Chinese embassy in Bishkek earlier today.
Blast in Chinese Embassy in Kyrgyzstan: at Least One Dead

http://sputniknews.com/europe/20160830/ ... bassy.html
1 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul: https://silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com

Boocat89

Re: Unrest in Central Asia - fall 2016 edition

Post by Boocat89 »

I am going to try to cross into Osh tomorrow, travelling from Tashkent. If anyone thinks I am crazy to try this and should instead wait for a few days, please let me know! Otherwise I will report back on what happens.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

You should be fine Boocat. Just looking at the coming weeks/months rather than the coming days.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

uzbekbound

Post by uzbekbound »

Can anyone currently in Uzbekistan share what the mood is like there? Yesterday the New York Times reported that everything was business as usual in Tashkent - with the exception of the military perimeter around the hospital.
0 x

Rolof Stolk

Post by Rolof Stolk »

Im in Tashkent now, business as usual, only every 500 meters there are police checking cars. In general there is much more police on the streets. I think getting into Tashkent with car from other cities can be difficult maybe. Tomorrow I am leaving to Shymkent, Kazakhstan, will let you know how it went.
1 x

Munas

Post by Munas »

Hy!

Planning to go in 3 days from Osh to Batken and enter Tajikistan with my own car. Someone knows if the border is open for foreigners?
According to the Austrian consulate in Bishkek borders between Kyrgyzstan / Tajikistan are closed until September 10th.

Thanks for some infos!
Thomas
0 x

uzbekbound

Post by uzbekbound »

Can anyone provide updates on the scene in Uzbekistan given recent events?
0 x

Gas1883

Post by Gas1883 »

Munas wrote:Hy!

Planning to go in 3 days from Osh to Batken and enter Tajikistan with my own car. Someone knows if the border is open for foreigners?
According to the Austrian consulate in Bishkek borders between Kyrgyzstan / Tajikistan are closed until September 10th.

Thanks for some infos!
Thomas
I came the other way a few days ago. Khujand to Isfara to Batken to Osh. Totally open :-). Only problem was a Tajik guy got pulled from our shared taxi leaving Tajikistan never to be seen again. This was on public/shared transport.
1 x

Gas1883

Post by Gas1883 »

uzbekbound wrote:Can anyone provide updates on the scene in Uzbekistan given recent events?
Have a visa for Uzbek starting soon so would also love get updates from anyone in Uzbek right now.

Am concerned about the situation and what could happen in the coming days, weeks, month. Due to go on September 10th.
0 x