Russia, Saratov to Kazakhstan, Uralsk

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
robfir

Russia, Saratov to Kazakhstan, Uralsk

Postby robfir » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:00 pm

The border crossing itself was no problem. The road between these two cities is the worst I've seen though! I never registered my migration card during my four-day transit visa journey through Russia, this was no problem on exit; it wasn't mentioned.
Keep your customs declaration form that you filled on entering Russia: as far as I know it's needed when exiting a customs union including Russia and Kazakhstan, so you might need it later.
1 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Russia, Saratov to Kazakhstan, Uralsk

Postby steven » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:53 am

0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

murg

Postby murg » Tue May 14, 2019 8:31 am

We crossed this Border about a week ago.

Road conditions.
Russia: The last maybe 120 km is of poor quality, Lots of fixed potholes. Could do 70 km/h max.
Between Russian Checkpoints: I would Not consider calling this a Road.
Kazakhstan: almost perfect.

Border crossing
First Russian Checkpoint: we stopped, an officer showed us to a door in a Container. Had to give our passportd thru a Window. Received them back 15 Minutes later.
As it was raining we Had to share the small (!) Waiting area with a dozen people.
Without any stamps in passport or a vehicle Control we we're told to drive to checkpoint 2, using the 'no road' bombtrack.
Checkpoint 2. Officer waved us to the Front. Passport & vehicle papers control.15 Minutes. Vehicle Check 10 Minutes. Could proceed to Kazakhstan

No one cared for our Registration Slips, they were in our passports. Received them back with the passports, threw them away in Oral.

Kazakh Checkpoint:
Again waved to the Front of the Queue.
Passport & vehicle papers shown at container right side of the Gate.
Barrier opens, Drive 50 Meter. Next passport Control, Pic taken of us. The temp.import doc from Russian imigration is needed.

Pay Attention:
the officer has forgotten to Return the doc to me, I Had to ask for it.
The Same Guy has also forgotten the Immigration stamp in my mates passport (was Not a Problem when leaving the country)

The complete Border crossing took us about 2 hours.
Russian people at First Checkpoint rather arrogant.
Second Checkpoint friendly.
Kazakh officers very kind.

We do not understand the purpose of the 1. Checkpoint.
In adverse weather conditions it is a disgusting place.
2 x
Riding the globe (well, at least some parts)
living in Germany

real2234

Postby real2234 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:54 pm

Hi,

I crossed this border yesterday driving on that road and I don't entirely agree with the message above because I found the road on the Russian side a real nightmare. After the first approximately 100 kilometers reconstructed, the remaining more or less 200 kilometers are mostly in a disastrous state, with my 2wd car to try to contain damages I had to drive at an average speed of no more than 25 kilometers per hour. Just before the last (awful) village on the Russian side, Ozinski, the road is being reconstructed and you have to take a dirt road full of gravel.

The message above shows a "bomb track" between the two Russian checkpoints, but I actually didn't find that trait more bad than the previous ones, in my opinion it would be better to define this whole road with this definition. In any case, towards the end of the route it gets even worse than before, and despite paying all the attention of the world (I think I drove more slowly than any other vehicle in transit, because I have always been passed and I have only passed a truck) I scratched the bottom of the car twice.

I think 70 km / h were not even reached by the locals (on which the time indicated on google maps is probably calculated), perhaps you can reach this speed with an off-road vehicle or with an enduro motorcycle but certainly not with a normal car, if not for very few stretches with tarmac probably rebuilf (but already for many years from appearance, and in any case we talk about a few kilometers every ten/twenty and no more).

Finally, if I had known before I would absolutely not have taken this road but I would have passed from Samara. That's undoubtedly the worst main road I have traveled in Russia in these years, I do not understand how they can leave it in this state. I'am ready to drive on shitty road sections but only if they are inevitable (such as from Atyrau to the border with Russia) and I expect the situation in advance, this road was rather a surprise. However, the lack of traffic immediately after Saratov and the low presence of Kazakh vehicles made me suspicious, afterwards I understood why.

About border crossing, it took more or less five hours, given the presence of so many Uzbeks in transit and I was not granted any privilege as a tourist. The only positive point is that guards on both sides was friendly, the road on the Kazakh side is perfect, insurance can be purchased immediately after the border and in Tasqala there is a nice service area open for 24 hours.
1 x

murg

Postby murg » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:10 am

real2234 wrote:Hi,

... I don't entirely agree with the message above because I found the road on the Russian side a real nightmare.
The message above shows a "bomb track" between the two Russian checkpoints, but I actually didn't find that trait more bad than the previous ones, in my opinion it would be better to define this whole road with this definition.
I think 70 km / h were not even reached by the locals (on which the time indicated on google maps is probably calculated), perhaps you can reach this speed with an off-road vehicle or with an enduro motorcycle

So sorry that you a bad time travelling this Road.

We actually were riding with dual sport motorbikes, and going 70 km/h was possible when being focussed. We where overtaking Lots of vehicles, but sometimes we were overtaken too.

The main difference between the 'bad road' til Ozinski and the strech between the Border Checkpoint is that in the first Part the most potholes are fixes. Between the Checkpoints there is hardly any tarmac but gravel, potholes & so on.
We were riding in wet conditions, so the difference to the 'bad road' stretch was big.

We talked to local Bikers. All the roads Saratow - Kursk we're maintained & overhauled die some football Championship a few years ago. Nothing happened east of Saratow cause No Fans we're expected to travel from Kazakhstan. They are quite Sure the Road will not be improved anytime soon.

Anyway, compared to other 'roads' in Central Asia e.g. Whakan Corridor, Ustyurt Plateau,... , this is all was going.

I hope this clarifies the Road conditions.
0 x
Riding the globe (well, at least some parts)
living in Germany

real2234

Postby real2234 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:58 pm

murg wrote:
real2234 wrote:Hi,

... I don't entirely agree with the message above because I found the road on the Russian side a real nightmare.
The message above shows a "bomb track" between the two Russian checkpoints, but I actually didn't find that trait more bad than the previous ones, in my opinion it would be better to define this whole road with this definition.
I think 70 km / h were not even reached by the locals (on which the time indicated on google maps is probably calculated), perhaps you can reach this speed with an off-road vehicle or with an enduro motorcycle

So sorry that you a bad time travelling this Road.

We actually were riding with dual sport motorbikes, and going 70 km/h was possible when being focussed. We where overtaking Lots of vehicles, but sometimes we were overtaken too.

The main difference between the 'bad road' til Ozinski and the strech between the Border Checkpoint is that in the first Part the most potholes are fixes. Between the Checkpoints there is hardly any tarmac but gravel, potholes & so on.
We were riding in wet conditions, so the difference to the 'bad road' stretch was big.

We talked to local Bikers. All the roads Saratow - Kursk we're maintained & overhauled die some football Championship a few years ago. Nothing happened east of Saratow cause No Fans we're expected to travel from Kazakhstan. They are quite Sure the Road will not be improved anytime soon.

Anyway, compared to other 'roads' in Central Asia e.g. Whakan Corridor, Ustyurt Plateau,... , this is all was going.

I hope this clarifies the Road conditions.

Hi,

no doubt it's not your fault and you don't have to worry; mine is the point of view of a tourist traveling with his car that wants to bring it home still "whole" and for this reason, as far as possible, I try to avoid the worst road sections. For example, returning to Europe, unable to pass through Turkmenistan, I am ready to travel the infamous roads from Nukus to Beyneu and from Atyrau to Astrakhan. I also imagine that in central Asia there are much worse roads, for example the Pamir one but I do not intend to travel them in my car in any way, knowing it in advance.

I say that for this reason I would not recommend that road section for a 2wd car in any case, especially why there is a probably better alternative via Samara that leads to the same point. What deceived me has been the fact that in the last few years I have traveled many Russian main roads until the Urals and I have never found such a condition. I do not know if it depends only on last year's World Cup because in my opinion the situation has clearly changed now and I can say that the standard of Russian main roads is now more than acceptable, there are continuous maintenance works on the road surface and renewal in every corner. So..... I could conclude that there is still the risk of finding some disastrous stretches but maybe it is a few kilometers of an unimportant road and not 200 kilometers on 300 of a main and international road. I would expect such a situation in the other Central Asian countries (and also in Ukraine, where that is the norm) of course, but I chose this way precisely because I had read that the Kazakh side was completely rebuilt and I was confident of finding an acceptable situation even on the other side.

In any case, I can certainly say that with bad weather it is a road to be avoided even more. Among other things, I didn't even understand the usefulness of the first checkpoint.
1 x

mazeno
Driving expert
Driving expert

Postby mazeno » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:45 am

i'm curious about your opinion - the comparition of the road described above and the road astrakhan-atyrau, which one is worse for now.
write when you finish the second and breathe a sigh of relief ;)
0 x
rgds -
mazeno