Almaty to Kegen in the afternoon

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
ikatsi

Almaty to Kegen in the afternoon

Postby ikatsi » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:53 am

Hi all,

All information I've found about transportation from Almaty to Kegen departs Almaty "early". We're looking to arrive in Karakol on 3rd August and I was wondering whether it might be possible to leave Almaty in the afternoon, arrive in Kegen and spend the night there if we're too late for the border crossing. I know there's nothing in Kegen really, but we're only landing in Almaty at about 9am on 2nd August, hence the plan to only leave the city in the afternoon once we've had the chance to walk around a bit and have lunch. Any ideas would be much appreciated! :)
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Almaty to Kegen in the afternoon

Postby steven » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:26 am

Yeah, don't see why not. Finding fellow passengers might be more difficult, so you might end up paying for an extra empty seat.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

trikolka

Re: Almaty to Kegen in the afternoon

Postby trikolka » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:39 pm

probably too late for you, but in case another traveller jas the same question : I went to the Sayakhat avtovokzal in Almaty at approximately 9 am. There I could easily find a taxi who was ready to drive me to Kegen for 25000 KZT. I stopped on the way in Kökpek, for 19000 KZT, about 3 hours later. I did not try to share this taxi because he had to carry my trike, and with me + my trike the taxi was full.So I cant tell if ot is easy to share such a ride. I can only recommend to go to the avtovokzal early,because the round trip Almaty-Kegen-Almaty takes the whole day for the driver.
1 x