Pamir Highway Rideshare August 2021

Share a ride on the Pamir Highway
Forum rules
1. Commercial offers are not allowed.
2. Please do not share personal contact details in your posts. Get in touch through the personal message system. Your PM stays in your outbox until the recipient logs in again.
3. Posts without a reply for more than 90 days are automatically removed.
4. Please report drivers sending you private messages. It helps us keep this board free from commercial intent.
travelerthomas

Re: Pamir Highway Rideshare August 2021

Post by travelerthomas »

I hope to be entering Kyrgyzstan in July then make my way into Tajikistan and eventually the Wakhan corridor in Afghanistan some time in August; so count me as an interested party to the roadtrip(and treks). Seems our timelines align well.

Best,
Thomas
0 x

Gabodou

Post by Gabodou »

Hello there!

My girlfriend and I will be in Kyrgyzstan at the end of this month. We should be visiting Uzbekistan next, ending around the end of July.Indeed local car renters in Osh have told me the border is closed and you can't even fly from Bishkek to Doushanbe.

Would anyone be motivated to share a UAZ with us say, from the 25th of July in Doushanbe for 10 days? 
Let me know,Thanks
0 x

danto1

Post by danto1 »

Hi!

I hope to travel from Dushanbe to Osh this August. I plan on renting a self-drive car and do the Pamir Highway (10-12 days).
Anyone interested in sharing the ride?
I am on the list of the 32 nationalities (Austria) that can cross the border from Tajikistan to Kyrgyzstan.

looking forward hearing from somebody!
0 x

Gabodou

Post by Gabodou »

Hi Danto!

Are you sure the border isn't closed from both sides?

Would you be willing to do some kind of loop from Dushanbe back to Dushanbe towards the end of July?

Also, as I understood it, it's much simpler hiring a local guide for practical reasons.

Let me know!

Thanks
0 x

Joan

Post by Joan »

Hi guys!
I am aiming to visit the Bartang valley and Pamir Highway (14 days, starting and finishing in Dushanbe due to the land border restrictions). I plan to start around August 13th. On my list is a hike to the Grim-Grizhmaylo glacier and a short hike into the Darshai Gorge. I already reached out to a driver. Anyone interested to join? The itinarary can be adjusted. Looking forward on replies!
0 x

Koen

Post by Koen »

Hi Joan,

wow that is amazing, just reading up on Grim-Grizhmaylo glacier, found this nice blog about it:
http://myafricansojourn.blogspot.com/20 ... most.html
I will put this on my places to go list.
0 x
Rollingdutchman @ instagram

RD1993

Post by RD1993 »

Joan wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:36 pm
Hi guys!
I am aiming to visit the Bartang valley and Pamir Highway (14 days, starting and finishing in Dushanbe due to the land border restrictions). I plan to start around August 13th. On my list is a hike to the Grim-Grizhmaylo glacier and a short hike into the Darshai Gorge. I already reached out to a driver. Anyone interested to join? The itinarary can be adjusted. Looking forward on replies!
This could potentially be perfect for me! I think the earliest I can fly from JFK to Dushanbe is Aug 9. As a vaccinated US citizen I'm hoping that by Aug we will be allowed to cross into Osh but if not I am perfectly fine with looping back to Dushanbe and then flying to Bishkek. Only thing is I would rather not cross into Afghanistan (I've already had enough issues with immigration when flying back home due to my "interesting" travel history) but I could always do a day hike or something on my own if people wanted to cross the border for a day or two. Pretty open on the itinerary beyond the Wakhan Valley and potentially catching the At Chaybysh festival (I don't think the info is out for this yet?), but honestly fine with what others want.

danto1 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:01 am
Hi!

I hope to travel from Dushanbe to Osh this August. I plan on renting a self-drive car and do the Pamir Highway (10-12 days).
Anyone interested in sharing the ride?
I am on the list of the 32 nationalities (Austria) that can cross the border from Tajikistan to Kyrgyzstan.

looking forward hearing from somebody!
Would also be interested in this :lol: - as per above I think earliest I can get into Dushanbe would be early AM on August 11. Obviously dependent on me being allowed to cross the land border (which hopefully will happen given America's plummeting cases)
0 x

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Post by Christian77 »

Koen wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:31 am
Hi Joan,

wow that is amazing, just reading up on Grim-Grizhmaylo glacier, found this nice blog about it:
http://myafricansojourn.blogspot.com/20 ... most.html
I will put this on my places to go list.
If you go, you can take into account some research I did (I can't fit it into my trekking schedule this year).

The locals will refer to this area as "Khafrazdara." Here are some basic instructions: https://www.adventuresoflilnicki.com/kh ... ajikistan/ But...she did not go to the glacier viewpoint. The pass by the viewpoint (Kholodny/Cold Pass) is 4670 meters, and according to some Russian climbers the best viewpoint is 70 meters in elevation higher up from the pass on the ridge (to the south). For a photo of the glacier from the pass, load this PDF and check out the photo on the top of page 14: http://azimut.psn.ru/~ilya/Pamir-2013/Pamir-2013.pdf

From the last lake to the pass will be open terrain with no visible path. Stay off the last glacier, as there is a lake under it. For 4670 meters, go slowly, and don't drive straight from Dushanbe to the trailhead.

As for the lower part, in August there will be high water from glacier melt. So leave the donkeys out of it, and be prepared for some light scrambling in the gorge. These guys turned back because the donkeys could go no further:

Regarding the National Park permit, the blog linked above says you can get it in Khorugh. But local rangers are very glad to take your money on the spot (if and when you meet them) and issue the permit (NOT the Zorkul permit). This may vary, and I have no experience with the park ranger in this area. If you are in Khorugh first, then getting the permit is easy and cheap (at the PECTA office). If your route doesn't go through Khorugh first, I would just go and pay on the spot. There is a ranger living in the village of Pasor (as well as in Ghudara). More info here, including on finding a guide from Pasor: http://tajiknationalpark.com/index.php/ ... Itemid=156

At this altitude in the Pamirs, you will need a very warm sleeping bag. And be prepared for trek that could last up to 6 days, depending on your conditioning and acclimatization. And good luck with the Bartang valley road and the usual flooding and road blockages... If the road is blocked, then just do the upper Jizevdara as a back-up (for whatever reason people seem to quit at the villages and not hike to the lakes/glaciers in the upper valley).
5 x

Koen

Post by Koen »

Hi christian,

amazing thanks for the information and links.
planning long overland journey again and this time want to spend multiple months in Tajikistan.

cheers Koen
0 x
Rollingdutchman @ instagram

Joan

Post by Joan »

Hi Christian,

Much appreciated! Thank you very much for the detailed info!
0 x