Road quality in Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
nsavir

Road quality in Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan

Post by nsavir »

I'm working on planning a trip and we were thinking of self-driving the following itinerary:
**Osh to Kokand
Kokand to Tashkent
Tashkent to Samarkand
**From Samarkand, visit Panjakent and Shahrisabz
Samarkand to Bukhara
**Bukhara to Khiva
Khiva to Dashoguz
From Dashoguz, visit Konye-Urgench
**Dashoguz to Ashgabat

I want to make sure the road quality is reasonable for this itinerary. I'm most concerned about the ones I marked with stars. The other ones are described as fair to good on the self-driving pages on the site, or look pretty reasonable on the map, so I'm less worried about those. Does anyone have experience driving in these places?

Many thanks
Nathan
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Road quality in Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan

Post by steven »

You understand the Penjikent border is closed, right?

Bukhara to Khiva is the only road still under construction, all others are well-maintained tarmac - 70 km/h.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

nsavir

Re: Road quality in Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan

Post by nsavir »

Thanks very much for your help! Sounds like driving will not be so painful after all. Hopefully the Bukhara to Khiva construction will be done before we go, but we won't count on it and will make sure we're prepared for a rough time for that leg.

Our trip is still some time away so we are hoping that the Penjikent border crossing will re-open before then. Perhaps over-optimistic but these things do seem to change a lot. If not we will just have to cut that part out. I was thinking about cutting it anyway because it seems like a lot of work visa-wise for a small gain (without it we won't go into Tajikistan and will only enter Uzbekistan once).
0 x