Tajen Border crossing uzbekistan kazakstan

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
jornk

Re: Tajen Border crossing uzbekistan kazakstan

Postby jornk » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:55 am

Sounds promising. I am planning to use this crossing with my own car. I'll post an update if i get back in june!
0 x

MichaelAngelo

Postby MichaelAngelo » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:21 pm

jornk wrote:Sounds promising. I am planning to use this crossing with my own car. I'll post an update if i get back in june!

Did it work? Might be planning this crossing in the next week or so with my Canada-registered car.
0 x

JnKln

Postby JnKln » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:51 am

Crossing Tejen without registration july 2018:

We (canadian and german passports) crossed Tejen border from UZ to KZ on july 2nd 2018 after 10 nights in Uzbekistan without registration.

The guard did ask for the registration slips at first. We pretended to have them lost so he didn't even ask the second time. No luggage control.

Seems like everything is becoming way more relaxed

- Jan
1 x

AdamL

Postby AdamL » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:55 pm

Do you know at which hour they are opening this border? I would like to make Beyneu-Nukus jump in one day tomorrow, by motorbike, and wanted to be as early as possible at the border on KAZ side.
0 x

Ian5spot

Currency Exchange at Kazakhstan Uzbekistan Border Crossing

Postby Ian5spot » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:05 pm

Hi, I came through the border crossing from Beynau, Kazakhstan into Karakalpakstan two weeks ago and was pleased to be able to exchange US and Kazakh currency for SOM at a kiosk at customs on the Uzbek side. Exchange rates are posted on a notice bord and much better than those offered by the touts bearing large wedges of SOM once you get across the border.
1 x

ajtyndall

Postby ajtyndall » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:48 am

Nukus to Aktau by train (November 2018)

- Direct train leaves hideously early so we decided to break up the journey as follows.
- We took a shared taxi from Nukus to Kungrad, checked into Family Guest House (~100m east of the train station on the south side of Utilisa Uzbekistanskaya). Bargained down to $10pp. Indoor toilet and shower. Breakfast included (and willingly served at 05:30). Registration provided on a post-it note. Then got another shared taxi to Muynak for a few hours. Back to Kungrad for dinner.
- 06:29 Kungrad-Beyneu departure. Ticket bought in advance in Nukus.
- Border crossing easy. Cursory glance into our luggage. Customs official had only been working for two months and hadn’t heard anything about registration slips even existing!
- 3 hour wait in Beyneu for the Aktau train. Some small restaurants around the train station for dinner.
- Sleeper train (e-ticket, bought from tickets.kz) was good and arrived in Mangyshlak just before 7am. Plenty of taxis into Aktau for 500 tenge per person
2 x

Greg

Postby Greg » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:54 am

I (British national) crossed this going westwards with a bicycle in early April 2019.

There is a truck stop on the Uzbek side that has a canteen, and basic rooms available for 90,000 Som. Everyone gets up before 6am to be first in the queue for the border.

When I rolled up at half nine, the guards spotted me, invited me to the front of the queue and chaperoned me through the entire process. This happened at both the Uzbek and Kazakh frontiers.

At the Uzbek side I had to open my bike bags for a cursory search, and I had to present my hotel registration slips - this is the third time I've left UZ and I'd the first time I've had to show these. I had slips for about half the nights I'd been in UZ, this was enough to satisfy the guy.

After I got through, the queue of lorries on the Kazakh side stretched back 3/4 of a mile.

All in all the process took half an hour.
2 x