Chinese visa in Hanoi (Vietnam)

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Chinese visa in Hanoi (Vietnam)

Postby steven » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:52 am

Please read and post reports on the embassy of China in Hanoi below.

We summarize all info on the China visa page, under embassy reports.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Claire

Chinese visa in Hanoi (Vietnam)

Postby Claire » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:48 pm

Just a few informations from our experience.
For non-residents, the Hanoi embassy gives 1 month validity/1 month duration of stay.
Needed : 1 application form (given by the embassy), 1 photo, 1 copy of passport, 1 copy of Vietnam visa, 1 detailed schedule and itinerary in China, hotel bookings (we made a few for the first few days, it was ok), 1 insurance certificate, plane tickets (we said we waited until we got the visa to buy them, it was ok).
But, we wanted more than 1 month/1 month... So, we had two invitations from friends in China, + the lady at the embassy asked for our bank accounts totals, and we got... 3 months/3 months.
Price : 30 usd.
It took us 7 visits to the embassy !!!
0 x

stahlmann

Postby stahlmann » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:58 am

As entering Central Asia overland via China is a nice option, I just add my report from Hanoi embassy for Chinese visa:

I submited Feb 2014:
- German passport
- 1 photocopy of passport photo page
- 1 photocopy of Vietnam visa page
- 1 passport photo
- 1 application form, 4 pages. They hand it to you entering the building.
The form asks you to list 5 places to stay in China, which I did. (but changed my plans after arriving in China)
- 1 hotel booking for first stop in China. This is where the lady at the counter had a problem with and asked what about the other 4 bookings. I told her that I do not have yet, as I wait for the visa first. She told me, that her manager has to decide this and that I should come back next morning. But next day they gave me the pink payment paper without any further questions, so everything fine. (I changed my plan for hotel in China later as well and cancelled the booking)
- It might help if you have been a vistior to China before, what you can put on the form as well. (I even wrote down my old visa number, which was in an expired passport)

I DID NOT need to submit:
- ticket leaving China (which I didn't have anyway, because I entered and left the country by bus - did not tell them)
- travel insurance
- financial status

With pink payment paper, you just take a motorbike to bank. Drivers will already wait for you outside embassy. Or take public bus no.32 direction west from the main road south of the embassy. Quite easy to find, as it is on a large crossing in a big building to the right. Embassy staff even give you a paper with bank address.

Applied for visa on a Thursday and got in next next Tuesday morning. 30 days tourist visa. No urgent process requested.

Later I got a 30 days extension while I was in Xining, Qinghai province.
The visa extension is in fact a kind of new visa and the 30 days extension will NOT be added to your current visa. So apply for extension 7 days before your current visa expires. Less than 7 days before your visa runs out might be a problem.

For the 30 days extension needed to submit:
- written planned travel intinery (just places, no hotel bookings required)
- proof of finance for each day 100 USD, so total 3000 USD. They don't want to see cash. Simple print out of your online bank account was fine.
- 160 RMB fee

This was processed in 3 working days.
0 x

JonasLuminas

Postby JonasLuminas » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:21 pm

Hi guys,

I just wanted to let you know that I got the chinese visa in hanoi yesterday, july 19.

A little prelude first:
I have been travelling overland from europe to asia, passed turkey, iran, tajiksitan and so on.
I tried to apply for the chinese visa in ulaanbaatar in mongolia in july 2017 but got inoficially rejected (have been told my documents needed to be checked for a month or more), most likely because of the turkish stamp.

a few weeks before now i was in taiwan and wanted to try the chinese visa again, as i heard from a few travelers with turkish stamp that it's again possible to get it. because taiwan doesn't have a chinese embassy, i asked in different countries all around asia.
in hong kong, i wrote to a travel agency called forever bright trading limited (which is supposed to be the best agent to arrange the visa there).
they told me, with my stamps it's 100% impossible to get the chinese visa in hong kong.
so after a little research i decided to try in hanoi.

documents I needed (german passport, 16. july 2018):

- copy of passport and visa page for vietnam
- passport photo
-application form
-hotel bookings for the whole stay (free cancellation on booking.com)
- flight tickets in AND out of china (did some photoshop work here)

I have not been asked for it, but submitted anyway:
-bank statement (100 usd per day - 3000 usd in total)
- travel insurance paper

also, i haven't been asked to present my old passport, nor to hand in a written explanaition why i cannot provide my old passport.
in the application form they only asked me which countries i visited in the last year (in the embassy in mongolia it was the last 3 years), my visit to turkey was longer ago than a year.

I applied on monday, was told to come back on thursday and pay 30 usd cash in the embassy. no questions about turkey, iran, etc. it wasn't even mentioned.

i came back on thursday and got a 30 day single entry visa for china. i could have asked for 45 days or multiple entry, but somehow i didn't want to ask too much as i wasn't sure if i would get the visa at all.

anyway, it seems the rules are changing all the time and different embassies seem to have slightly different regulations.

I hope this will help.

Safe travels!
1 x

julistan

Postby julistan » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:38 pm

Updated march 2019
It s still as the previous reply except that they ask for the insurance certificate (an old one updated with words works perfect ) and to write down an itinerary that corresponds obviously to your bookings.
2 x

BakuBound

Postby BakuBound » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:50 pm

Whether you have to show insurance almost certainly depends on your nationality.
0 x

jessArdeche

Postby jessArdeche » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:30 am

Thanks for all the information, this site is amazing :)

There's now a Visa Application Centre that takes applications for Chinese visas in Hanoi, Danang and Ho Chi Minh (where I got mine)

It sounds like it's no longer possible to apply at the Embassy/Consulates (http://vn.china-embassy.org/eng/lsyw/t1693300.htm) unless you have a diplomatic passport.

There's lots of info and a downloadable application form on visaforchina.org and it should be possible to book an appointment but that wasn't working when I went and it didn't seem to be necessary.

The processing fee was 685,000 VND which pretty much doubled the $30 cost of the visa for me :roll: (UK citizen, single entry)

I have Temporary Residence in Vietnam and I think you need that, or a visa that's valid for longer than 3 months to apply in VN.
1 x