Khorgos border crossing Q&A (Almaty - Urumqi)

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
LiangPingPiJiu

Re: Khorgos border crossing Q&A (Almaty - Urumqi)

Postby LiangPingPiJiu » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:38 am

@nielba:
yes, it's about BakuBound said, just showing your passports all the time and wrtiting down your (chinese) telephone number. Don't know what they do if you say you don't have a chinese number, probably letting you wait for 10 minutes, considering what to do and then let you go.
It's annoying and letting at least me feeling uncomfortable, but compared with the border crossing it's nossing.

I also think this bus from Almaty to Urumqi is still the best option - but still, it's the same border crossing.
I did this trip twice due to climate reasons, since I'm often going to south-china. But I guess this time was the last time - at least for the next few years, decades,... Who knows.. :( Especially the checking of my digital equipment is for me an absolute no-go.
2 x

nielba

Re: Khorgos border crossing Q&A (Almaty - Urumqi)

Postby nielba » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:19 am

yeah I totally see, I was just thinking about my ebook reader with 1000+ books and how to know which one might put me in a bad position, a lottery I guess.. other than that normal tourist photos on my camera and phone, not pleasant but..

maybe more about the questions.. "normal" stuff like where you going or where you staying..?! better to stick with a general Beijing/Shanghai and then fly out or what..?!
0 x