Mongolia - Laos / Sept 2018

Find Torugart crossing partners to Naryn. Karakorum Highway to Pakistan. Share guided tours. Etc.
Paul_R_F

Mongolia - Laos / Sept 2018

Postby Paul_R_F » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:42 pm

Hi,

I am currently planning a route from Mongolia to Laos. We want to leave around Sept 15th and take the tour to Mohan (border to laos). We are a family of four (me, 34 - Astrid, my wife, 28 - Matteo + Fabienne, our kids, 2+3 and we have a dog). We are an Austro/German Family and speak German and English (and me additionally french, spanish and hopefully soon some russian). We are very laid back and try to always take culture + people over sights.

We are planning the tour through navo tours and drive a landcruiser with a caravan.

The itinerary is: Erenhot, Uranqabu, Peking, Datong, Wutaishan, Wudangshan, Pingyao, Louyang, Sanmenxia, Xian, Foping, Guangyuan, Chengdu, Shimian, Miyl, Lijang, Shaxi-Dali, Kunming, Jianshui, Yuanyang, Jiangcheng, Mengla, Mohan. (this more or less refers to this route http://bit.ly/2jxP7Js )

We would happily have some other travellers joining us on our tour

Lots of love from Austria
Paul

PS: yes, we know of the difficulties of getting a dog into china and have found a satisfying solution (at least we think so ;) ).

PPS: The trip is part of our slightly larger trip from Vienna to SOA via Iran, Usbekistan, Mongolia, etc ;)
0 x

luketao

Re: Mongolia - Laos / Sept 2018

Postby luketao » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:35 pm

Great choice of route. You will go through some major cultural sites in the north, and major natural sites in the southwest.
Language barrier would probably be your number one difficulty. Some cheaper hotels may also not host foreigners since they don't want to go through the additional registration.

In Beijing, I will recommend the unmaintained sections of the Great Wall. In Shanxi, you can visit the Hanging Monastery and Yungang Grotto.
Near Xi'an, you should not miss the hiking trail in Mountain Hua Shan (not for those with acrophobia). For cultural sites, you should visit the Famensi Museum (Famensi Temple, on the other hand, is dull).
Sichuan and Yunnan provinces have many natural sites and hiking trails. You could also visit the cultural Tibetan areas in these two provinces. You don't need additional permits and mandatory group tour as long as you do not enter TAR, and they are much cheaper than the mandatory tours when visiting Bhutan.

Finally, the most important note is to avoid the national holidays between Oct. 1st to 7th. Otherwise, you would witness the largest crowd that you have never seen before.
1 x

cotteaux

Postby cotteaux » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:34 pm

Dear all,
We will planned to start China biginning of september 2018. So Mongolia China Laos.
With à camper so if there are other vehicle it will be very good. My email [email protected]

Jérôme
0 x

cotteaux

Postby cotteaux » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:35 am

Hi,
How are you and and how your trip ongoing?
I am Jérôme from France with my familly Estelle my wife and 2 children Timeo and Amaël 4,5 and 1,5 years old.
We will leave the France in June to Russia, Mongolia, China, Laos, Cambodia, and Australia.
We have a Camper for this trip.
For this moment we planned to cross China beginning September 2018 because China Holidays are just the first week of October. So perhaps a good idea to pass before.
Now we have already checked with 3 agency for China and for us (it is not an obligation) China Exploration is good but only us for this moment and we need other vehicle to decrease the cost.
If you want to speak about this project don't hesitate.
Thanks
Jérôme

0033688785609 (mobile Phone)
0 x

Stefan-5c100c

Postby Stefan-5c100c » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:13 am

Hello Paul,

we saw that you are planning to cross China in September. We are also looking for travel partners in this time, are you still looking for people to join you?

We are also a austrian/german couple and we are traveling with our Mercedes 190er and a trailer tent.
You can contact us via E-mail [email protected] or +43 650 411 2401.

Looking forward to your answer.

Nice grretings,

Stefan and Melanie

P.S. Your post sounds very sympathic, because you are a family with dog and more interested in people and culture than sights :)
0 x