China - Nepal border crossings Q&A

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
jill

Re: Overland from Kyrgyzstan - via China - to Nepal

Postby jill » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:23 pm

Hi there, Not sure if this will help you but I spoke to the lady we work with in China this week ( for over-landing with our own vehicle)and she told me the Zangmu border is still closed since the bad earthquake.
If you would like her details and the company please PM me.
1 x

adventuretourchina

Postby adventuretourchina » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:49 am

Dianne wrote:My boyfriend and I are planning an overland trip from the Netherlands to Nepal this year. At the moment we have the following route in mind: Europe, Turkey, Iran, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Tadzjikistan, Kyrgyzstan, china, Nepal. We are exploring options to travel via China, but it hard to find a not-too-expensive way. Our question is: What is the best way to organise this part of the trip, without having to pay a lot of money? Do you know people who travelled this way? Do you have connections in China? Is there a possibility to drive with a group of cars, so we can share the costs?

I am looking forward to your respons.

Hi Dianne,
it seems there are two options for driving from Kyrgyzstan to Nepal for people who want to avoid Afghanistan and south of Pakistan:
- Kyrgyzstan - China - Pakistan - India/Nepal. For China part it will be Kyrgyzstan - China (Torugart or Irkeshtam Pass - Kashgar - KKH - Khunjerab Pass) - Pakistan, this route take 4-5 days, costs from 900 to 2000usd per vehicle depends how many vehicles doing the crossing with you.

- Kyrgyzstan - China - Nepal. For China part it could be Torugart/Irkeshtam Pass - Kashgar - G219 - Kailash/EBC(Lhasa) - Gyirong border - Nepal, Or Torugart/Irkeshtam Pass - Kashgar - Silk road of china - Golmud - Lhasa - Shigatse - EBC - Gyirong border - Nepal. This option takes 15-25 days, costs will absolutely more than usd1500/2000 per car
0 x

adventuretourchina

Postby adventuretourchina » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:53 am

jill wrote:Hi there, Not sure if this will help you but I spoke to the lady we work with in China this week ( for over-landing with our own vehicle)and she told me the Zangmu border is still closed since the bad earthquake.
If you would like her details and the company please PM me.

Hi Jillm,

That's right.

Zhangmu still closed(Feb. 10) but Gyirong and Burang Border are open for overlander with car/motorcycle.
1 x

Burgstaller

Re: China - Nepal border crossings Q&A

Postby Burgstaller » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:31 pm

hello Jillm We are a family from Barcelona we have our van in Kirgystan, next summer we will cross to Nepal and India.
Our idea is to stay in the border of china near 25 of july. may be we can make togheter.
All the best

Enric and co
www.vivac.cat
0 x