Open Seats in Rideshare Osh to Khorog May 25 - June 2!

Share a ride on the Pamir Highway
adamweiss71

Open Seats in Rideshare Osh to Khorog May 25 - June 2!

Postby adamweiss71 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:51 pm

Hi all,

My name is Adam, and I am a 22 year-old male from the USA. I met up with Fabian (30 year-old male from Germany) on Caravanistan a couple of months ago, and we planned the following tentative itinerary from Osh to Khorog on May 25 - June 2. We have already hired a rideshare, and the cost for the trip will be $1090 + $20/night for accommodation + $0.7/km if we add anything extra to the itinerary. Since we still have two open seats in our rideshare, we were hoping we could find 1-2 people to join us!

May 25 - Osh to Sary Mogul with a stop at Tulparkul
May 26 - Sary Mogul to Karakul
May 27 - Karakul to Murghab
May 28 - Day trip to Shakti Caves or Pshart Valley returning to Murghab
May 29 - Mughab to Alichur
May 30 - Alichur to Bunukul (maybe visiting the Bazar Dara mine)
May 31 - Bunukul to Langar
June 1 - Langar to Ishkashim
June 2 - Ishkashim to Khorog

We both speak English and German (although my German is average at best). We are open to suggestions if you feel strongly about changing any part of the itinerary, although the dates are somewhat fixed.
0 x

Patpag

Re: Open Seats in Rideshare Osh to Khorog May 25 - June 2!

Postby Patpag » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:38 pm

hi Adam,

My husband and I (both in our mid-40s, French-American long-term travelers, English/French/German speakers, though a bit rusty in German). We might be interested though we are not entirely sure about the dates. Still in the planning stage, but your dates could possibly match with ours. Working on getting our visa plan for crossing Central Asia from Pakistan to Turkmenistan.

Questions on your itinerary:
- Where do you go from Khorog?
- We are thinking of going to the Wakhan Valley - is this something you might consider?

Thanks
Patricia
0 x

adamweiss71

Postby adamweiss71 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:20 am

Hey Patricia,

That would be great. To answer your two questions - we actually are already planning to travel the Wakhan Valley, with stops in Langar and Ishkashim along the way!! And then after we arrive in Khorog, I will travel to Dushanbe to catch a flight. I am hoping to take the flight from Khorog to Dushanbe (supposedly an amazing adventure), but this depends on weather conditions, so I am playing this a bit day by day. Otherwise, I will take a shared taxi to Dushanbe.

Let me know once you know your itinerary if you would be interested in joining :) I am not really sure if there is an easy or convenient way to get from Pakistan to Osh, unless you fly into Almaty or something similar (I looked into a similar itinerary before I had to shorten my trip!). You might be better off traveling the Pamir highway in the other direction, but you will have to see what is best for you!

Adam
0 x

Patpag

Postby Patpag » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:31 pm

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the info.

The plan is to travel the Karakoram Highway in Pakistan, cross into China, then Kyrgyzstan to Osh, and start the Pamir Highway from there. All provided we get the Pakistan visa to start with! :)

If you are crossing into Wakhan Valley before Khorog, you will already have your Afghan visa then? Are you applying for the regular Tajik visa, or will you apply to the new eVisa twice (since this visa is single entry only)?

Yeah, I hear the flight is very interesting! :)

Cheers,
Patricia
0 x

mandel87

Postby mandel87 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:40 pm

Hey Patricia,

sounds like you have an amazing trip ahead of you :)!

But there seems to be a misunderstanding here. We don't plan on travelling to the Afghan side of the Wakhan valley, but will rather stay on the Tajik side, the Wakhan valley being the region that separates the two by the Panji river. Travelling onwards into the Wakhan corridor, Afghanistan, could be done at the end of the trip, I guess. There's a consulate in Khorog, though you might have to head back to Ishkashim to cross the border afterwards, as I'm not sure it's possible to cross in Khorog at the moment.

For my part, my plan is similar to Adam's - after reaching Khorog, heading onwards to Dushanbe by plane (if possible) or by shared taxi. Hence, I only have a single entry visa with GBAO permit.

Cheers from Germany,

Fabian
0 x