Bicycle on the train in Azerbaijan

The Silk Road by train. Experts: Milad, Provodnik
panse

Bicycle on the train in Azerbaijan

Postby panse » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:23 am

Hey guys

Is there any chance to take 2 bicycles in the overnight train from Baku to Astara? Do the trains have a carriage wagon? We are running out of time and need to get to Teheran and want to do it overland.

Thanks for your answers!
0 x

Milad
Trains expert
Trains expert

Re: Baku - Astara Train with bike

Postby Milad » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:22 am

Officially, no.

In practice, there might be a way: Buy four tickets (for one compartment, assuming there are one or two of you) in Kupe. Buy them online at https://ticket.ady.az/en/tickets to prevent the cashier from destroying your plans. This is not going to be expensive, expect 10 AZN (5 EUR/6 USD) per ticket. When entering your names and passport numbers, do not make something up, but enter one name/passport number multiple times. When asked at the kassa (you will still have to pick up paper tickets) why you did that, simply tell them that you want some privacy. Do not mention bikes, do not bring your bikes to the kassa. When at the train, show the provodnitsa (female form as there are no male provodniks in Azerbaijan) all your tickets and maybe 20 Manat as a bribe. She might agree on this or demand more. Be there early as the train will "open" half an hour before departure and you won't have much time for negotiations when the train is about to leave. When on the train, simply put your bikes on the lower berths and use the upper ones for sleeping.

I do not guarantee that this is going to work, it depends entirely on the willingness of the provodnitsa to accept bribes, but as they aren't paid well I assume your chances are quite good. Please update me if it worked (or not)! :D

One more thing: if you dismantle the bike, it's also officially allowed as hand luggage, see https://ticket.ady.az/agree.php.
0 x

panse

Postby panse » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:31 am

so I think maybe its better to take the bus :roll:
0 x

sina_the_great

Postby sina_the_great » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:25 pm

yes the bus is easier . I always prefer buses for transporting my bike.
1 x

Milad
Trains expert
Trains expert

Postby Milad » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:47 pm

If there is a bus that takes bikes, I'd go for the bus. My post was assuming that you have no choice.
0 x

panse

Postby panse » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:40 pm

So we did it!

We went to the train in Baku very early and started chatting with the guys who work on the train. First they were not amused about the bikes but then one of them told me to pit the bikes in a small space at the very end of the train. There was some space to put the bikes and they even locked the „room“. No extra money paid.

The train ride was very shitty, but a real adventure!
2 x

RemiBac

Re: Bicycle on the train in Azerbaijan

Postby RemiBac » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:31 pm

We did it too ! (I write this post from the train).

So, it's officialy not possible to take bikes on the train without paying. The guys who work on the train wasn't for letting us enter in without paying "2 more tickets", but luckily we meet two fantastic guys who negociate for us.

Finally, one bike is in the corridor in front of the bedroom, another is in the space for luggages between the ceiling and the top-bed (limit for a Surly LHT size 50 haha).
10 manats in the pocket of the guy who works in the train (he wanted more this asshole, but it was our last manats - just before Iran).

So, good Luck !
1 x