Oct 1, Shahrasibz, and Termez accomodations +cotton harvest

All about Uzbekistan.
christye

Oct 1, Shahrasibz, and Termez accomodations +cotton harvest

Postby christye » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:15 am

Still filling in a detailed itinerary and I would appreciate help with:
1. Oct 1 is Teacher's Day in UZ. What effect will that have on mausoleums and sites? What businesses might be closed?
2. More specifically, this could be the day we are being driven from Samarkand, through Shahrasibz, to Termez. Any special notes for that area?
3. Any suggestions for waypoints between Samarkand and Termez besides Shahrasibz?
4. Finally, we will spend one night in Termez. My internet search for a room hasn't yielded much. The C guide mentions apartment rental? We are 2 American women, well behaved, budget level accommodations are good/preferred as long as clean, and a bit of English would be nice. We are trying to put our money into the hands of local people rather than corporations/governments but can afford a proper hotel. Any suggestions?
5. Another last thought...when is the cotton harvest likely to hit and what impact on UZ travel in Sept-Oct?
Thank you!
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Oct 1, Shahrasibz, and Termez accomodations +cotton harvest

Postby steven » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:38 am

1. I think everything should be open.
2-3. You might want to stop over in Urgut, nice area but not that interesting if the bazaar is not on (you are going on a Tuesday - no bazaar)
4. There are no homestays. I recommend Asson as a midrange option and Meridian for upmarket. Don't know who owns these places.
Not sure if you saw this page: https://caravanistan.com/uzbekistan/sou ... mmodation/ ?
Things are moving fast in Uzbekistan, though, so maybe by the time you are there Airbnb will have 20 apartments for rent.
5. Cotton picking should be in full swing at that time. Will have no effects on your trip.
0 x
I read the forum every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

christye

Re: Oct 1, Shahrasibz, and Termez accomodations +cotton harvest

Postby christye » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:27 am

Yes, I did see the link, that is where I got interested in apartment rental. Ah well, we appreciate your help again and again.
1 x