If you are not a Kazakh citizen, you need a permit to visit the area in Kazakh Altai close to the border with China and Russia. Since 2018, the border area permit is no longer needed for the whole northern part of Kazakh Altai, including Katon Karagai, Ridder, West-Altai Nature Reserve. Kiin Kerish is also possible to visit without permit.
Only the Kurchum region, Markakol Lake and the Austrian Road, Berel and the Valley of Tsars, Rakhmanov Springs and Belukha still require a border permit.
Applying for the permit
- From the start of your application, it takes 10 business days
- Understand that in Altai, there is very little public transport, almost no one speaks English and tourism is in its infancy. You either need to take a tour, or be completely self-sufficient. Read our Altai Guide if you haven’t yet.
- If you don`t want to book anything (hotels, taxis, tours) but have a lot of questions regarding your trip plan, the tour operator can help with a paid consultation. (20$)
- You don`t need a local guide, but you are responsible for following the route that you specified in the application.
- The permit is valid for the dates specified in the application.
- You need to pick it up yourself in Oskemen
- Price is 50$
Ready? Fill in the form on this page and we will get started right away!
All questions are answered in this forum topic.