We visited the majority of hostels, hotels and guesthouses in Osh. Here are our recommendations.
Best budget accommodation in Osh
If you have not planned your onward travel yet, CBT Guesthouse and Osh Guesthouse both have active tour desks. CBT is best for hikers heading to the Alay mountains, while Osh GH focuses on jeep tours to Pamir and Kyrgyzstan. They are both halal (no alcohol allowed on the premises).
Best mid-range accommodation in Osh
Below these, mid-range options in Osh are a mixed bag: none are awful, but they all carry some clear minuses. Silk Way Boutique Hotel has rooms are great value for money and would suit business travellers. Sunrise Osh is fine if uninspiring, Biy Ordo Hotel and Guesthouse are decent if you take the higher-priced rooms, while Voyage Osh and Eco House are more homely options.
Best high-end accommodation in Osh
There are 2 options at the top-end of the scale in Osh: Classic Hotel and Orto Asia. We only visited Orto Asia, so we cannot compare. But Orto Asia is a good choice. Do not expect to have your mind blown (you are still in Osh), but the hotel is fitted with all the trappings of a luxury hotel designed to receive guests who demand the best.
Apple Hostel Osh
Part of a chain with locations in Bishkek next to the bus station (perfect if that’s where you need to be) and in Cholpon-Ata (where owner Aigul keeps everything running smoothly).
Located in a big house in a quiet backstreet, the Osh branch is the newest, but not the best. The dorms and bathrooms were sub-par when we visited.
- A usable kitchen
- Parking space inside the gate for cars
- Has lockers
- Bunk beds are cheap and mattresses are wafer-thin
- Dirty bathroom
- 1-hour walk to the bazaar
- The garden is concrete, without shade
- No security: we walked in and out without anyone asking questions – no management was present
Biy Ordo Guesthouse
Situated in a dusty corner of Osh, but near the airport and the Uzbek border, Biy Ordo guesthouse is a long-standing part of the accommodation scene in Osh. Like its newer sister hotel in the centre of town, it is a mixed bag. While the dorm and deluxe room are assets, standard rooms on the contrary are very sad.
- Location: near the airport and the Uzbek border
- Dorm is spacious and clean, with high-quality bunk beds
- Deluxe room equally spacious and pleasant, if a bit dark
- Location: far from the centre
- Garden is concrete and opens on a loud and dusty road
- Standard rooms are SAD
Biy Ordo Hotel
Although there is plenty to like about Biy Ordo Hotel, there are also some minuses. If you are ok with a small room, the rooms with ensuite bathroom are not a bad choice, though. For backpackers who want to book a dorm bed, there are better options in Osh.
- Location is pretty central
- Private rooms are very clean
- Breakfast at adjoining Borsok restaurant is decent and coffee is among best in town
- The kitchen for self-caterers is inviting and very well-equipped
- Rooms and beds are small
- There is no garden, the hotel opens on a busy street
- The dorm room, in the basement, is cramped.
- Showers for the dorm and rooms without ensuite were not clean and very basic.
Perfectly situated at the foot of Sulaiman-Too, the CBT guesthouse is a backpacker favourite thanks to its location, garden, and its tour desk, which has a broad range of services, but specifically, the best information and services for hikers heading for the Alay mountains.
Fitted with basic amenities, it remains a budget haunt. CBT Guesthouse is halal.
- Perfect location
- Quiet, shady garden with topchan
- Best tour desk in town for hikers
- Excellent local restaurant on the corner (not the dismal Christian Starbucks Brio, although that’s also close)
- Bathroom is basic, simple things like a bath mat and decent mirror are missing
- 12 in a dorm is tight. No airconditioning in any of the rooms.
- Bunk beds are stable, but you can feel the mattress springs a little bit.
- There are no lockers, and anyone can walk in.
Although the Eco House is showing its age, it is still a decent place to stay in the mid-range: well-located, large-ish, cozy rooms, good breakfast and a nice garden.
- Rooms are large-ish and cozy
- Breakfast is good
- The garden in the back is a nice place to relax
- Location is good, 20 minute walk from Sulaiman-Too
- Built in 2009, the hotel has not seen a lot of renovation
- Especially the bathrooms are not up to date
A tad too messy to be charming, entering the guesthouse-cum-villa that is Fresh Osh is like arriving at someone’s home. Someone who was not expecting you.
- Quiet location in a backstreet, within walking distance of all sights
- The luxe room has a good view of Sulaiman-Too
- More messy than cozy
- Interior is dated
- The garden is concrete
- An English speaker is not always at hand
Hostel Inn Osh
Unlike other reviewers, we did not get a good impression of Hostel inn. Although the location is perfect, we felt far from welcome.
- Perfectly located
- Kids manned reception and were very suspicious of us
- Doubles are small, with low-quality mattresses
- Dorm had a smell
- Many ‘forbidden’ signs
- The garden is just a paved-over parking area
Although Konok Hostel is not perfect, if all you need is a clean bunk bed to spend the night in a central location, it is as good a choice as any.
- Clean bathrooms
- Rooms are not unspacious, and have lockers
- Very good central location
- Not a lot of natural light in the rooms
- Mattresses are thin
- The kitchen/reception/ dining area is cramped
- No garden or outdoor space
Lovely Home For You
What’s in a name? Lovely Home For You is a clear winner for lovers of coziness and couleur locale. The lady of the house has founded her guesthouse on kindness and warmheartedness. With good English as well, she is the perfect host.
- Very lush, shady garden. Throughout the season you can pick some fruit off a tree here
- Great views of Sulaiman-Too as you step out the door
- No Nordic minimalist design here: its a cozy jumble of wallpapers and blankets with a distinct post-Soviet vibe (in a good way)
- Perfectly located in a quiet neighbourhood near the bazaar and Sulaiman-Too
- Not for guests who like it extra-neat or more standardized
There are only 2 luxury hotels in Osh: Orto Asia and Classic Hotel. We did not visit Classic Hotel (details at Booking.com) so we cannot compare, but Orto Asia is a good choice if you or your guests require luxury.
- Standard rooms are the best in Osh
- The luxe is reasonably priced and absolutely enormous
- Desks are not good for those who need to get some work done
- Not centrally located
As the first hostel in Osh, Osh Guesthouse has a long-standing reputation amongst backpackers. Taking up 9 apartments in an aging tower block outside of the centre, it’s definitely not the cosiest or best-equipped hostel in Osh.
But it remains popular due to its low prices and well-oiled tour desk which can arrange tours across Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan. Osh Guesthouse is halal.
- Small garden offers topchans to sit outside
- Experienced operating tours around Osh, in Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan
- Rooms and amenities are bare-bones
- Location is not central
Salam Hotel is another mixed bag of which Osh seemed to have plenty on our last passage. Design-wise and language-wise, it seemed to cater mostly to locals, and every room type had as many pluses as it did minuses.
- Standard rooms: actually really cosy and well-designed
- Luxe rooms: big, with a good bathroom and a large sitting room
- Hostel: spacious, with just 4 beds in a big room
- Upstairs veranda is a nice extra
- Standard rooms: located in the basement and with broken shower cup in bathroom
- Luxe rooms: not cosy at all
- Hostel: no kitchen and a messy bathroom
- Upstairs terrace opens on a busy street with the smell of shashlik
- Salam does not have its own water boiler. Problematic if the city heating switches off.
Silk Way Boutique Hotel
At first sight, the Silk Way Hotel gives an odd impression, located on the outskirts of town and eerily quiet both from outside and within. The second impression is a lot better however: rooms are modern and have all amenities (the water boiler is the clincher for us) – the best in Osh for this price.
- Located near the airport and the Uzbek border
- A purpose-built hotel (not a redesigned apartment block of villa), rooms are modern and large
- Design is neutral but pleasing, not boring, and have all amenities
- Extremely quiet
- Really friendly staff
- Not centrally located
- Eerily quiet
With clean, modern rooms and good bunk beds, a central location and general chill vibes, Sunny Hostel is simply, a pleasant place to stay.
- Clean and airy rooms with a lot of natural light
- Pleasant staff contribute to a relaxed atmosphere
- Very central location
- Lots of parking for cars and motorbikes
- Good bunk beds
- No air-conditioning
- No trees or grass outside, just concrete.
The older branch of the Sunrise Hotel, we cannot recommend Sunrise Guesthouse. The building is old and in need of renovation, bathrooms are small and the guesthouse is located some way out of the centre. It would still be ok for 25$ for a double, but management keeps prices higher.
- The buffet breakfast sounded nice
- Deluxe rooms are bigger and have nicer wallpaper, but the bathrooms are no better.
- Building is from the ’90s and it is showing its age
- Location is not central
- Bathrooms are small
Clean, well-appointed and centrally located, there is nothing wrong with the Sunrise Hotel. It is not an inspiring place to stay, though: you could be anywhere in the world. Business travellers: get a suite if you need a decent table and chair for work.
- Clean, well-appointed rooms
- Buffet breakfast
- Central location
- Design is uninspiring
A large guesthouse with a beautiful garden that caters to mid-range as well as budget guests, TES is very popular with self-drivers, cyclists and motorbikers, and rightly so. It’s got everything.
The second floor was renovated in 2018 to great success, and you should ask for a room here. However, if none are available, the older ground floor rooms are a good choice all the same. They have been kept in pristine condition and still out-do much of the room inventory in Osh.
- Camping is available in the garden
- A beautiful garden with plenty of seating
- The fridge sells a variety of local and imported beers
- Covered parking space for bikes, motorbikes and cars
- Quiet, central location
- Spacious, clean rooms. New on the top floor, well-kept on the ground floor
- ? Your feedback is welcome.
Voyage Osh Guesthouse
A large family home converted into a guesthouse, the rooms at Voyage Osh were renovated in 2015 and the lady of the house keeps them realllly clean. The family lives here and there is a warm and friendly atmosphere. The Aidar-Ata chaikhana serves delicious food.
- The rooms are recently renovated and kept really clean
- A warm family atmosphere
- The garden is an asset
- Decent location a bit off-center
- If the daughter is not at home, no one speaks English
- Why is there a shower inside one of the rooms (yes, not ensuite, actually inside the room)?