Highlights: Ashgabat and the UNESCO World Heritage sites of Nisa, Merv, Konye-Urgench, Derweze gas crater, Dashoguz, Turkmenabat, Kugitang.
The programs we prepared for you here reflect just a small sample of the most popular programs requested by travellers in the past. They can easily be tailor-made to fit your wishes and interests, the level of comfort you wish during your trip, and the amount of time available to you.
Please, also have a look at our fixed departure tour programs for more ideas to compose your optimal trip. All programs can also easily be adjusted to travellers coming from or going to the neighbouring countries of Uzbekistan, Iran, Kazakhstan or Azerbaijan. Also for travellers with special interest in horse riding, walking or biking, archaeology, geology or bird watching, we have various samples available.
Day 1. Ashgabat
City tour, including a visit of Nisa (UNESCO) and the National Museum.
Day 2. Ashgabat – Mary
Transfer to Mary (long drive, approx.. 7 hours), with visits of Anau depe, Abiverd depe and Nodir Shah on the way. Upon arrival in Mary there is opportunity to visit the town centre and Central Bazaar.
Day 3. Mary (4×4)
Trip by jeep into the Karakum Desert (1,5 hours), for a visit to the Bronze Age excavations of Gonur Depe. Upon return visit the Mary History and Ethnography Museum.
Day 4.Mary – Turkmenabad (4×4)
Morning visit of Talkhatan Baba Mosque and Ahun Baba Madrassa remains. Afternoon transfer to Turkmenabad with a visit of Merv (UNESCO) on the way
Day 5.Turkmenabad – Kugitang (4×4)
Transfer to Koyten village in the Kugitang Mountains (long drive: approx. 8 hours), a visit to Astana Baba and Alamberdar Mausoleum Complex on the way. Dinner and overnight at the base lodge.
Day 6. Kugitang Nature reserve (4×4)
Day trip into the Kugitang Mountains, with visits of the famous Dinosaur Plateau, the Umbar Dere Gorge and the Kyrk Kyz pilgrim cave. Dinner and overnight at the base lodge.
Day 7. Kugitang – Turkmenabad (4×4)
Transfer back to Turkmenabad with a stop at Kainar Baba sulphur spring.
Day 8. Turkmenabad – Dashoguz (4×4)
Transfer along the Amu Darya River to Dashoguz with a visit of Daya Hatyn caravanserai remains on the way (long drive, approx. 8 hours).
Day 9. Dashoguz – Derweze (4×4)
Morning visit to Kunye-Urgench (UNESCO). Afternoon transfer through the Karakum Desert via Erbent and Damla settlements to Derweze. Set up camp. Camp dinner and overnight in tents.
Day 10. Derweze – Ashgabat
Morning transfer to Ashgabat. Afternoon program can be arranged by request.
Group discounts available
- Visa support (Letter of Invitation, State Registration, Travel Pass)
- All transfers and all other overland transport as per program per AC vehicles
- Domestic airline tickets (economy seats, Boeing 717 aircraft)
- Accommodation based on twin-shared hotel room, including breakfasts
- Accommodation in private trekking tents, including breakfast
- Dinner on Day 5, 6 & 9
- English-speaking local guide-interpreter services
- Entrance fees to sites
- Bottled drinking water en route 1,5 l per day
- Turkmenistan tourist visa, from 105+2 USD per person, when obtained at Ashgabat Airport (subject to change)
- Turkmenistan migration tax 10+2 USD per person, to be paid at Ashgabat Airport (subject to change)
- Meals not indicated in above table
- Camera usage fees to historical parks and museums
- Tips for local guides and drivers
- Souvenirs and other personal items
- All other charges and services