Highest Point: 3860m, Lowest Point: 1750m, Total Elevation Gain: 2200m
Total Elevation Loss: 2200m
Level of difficulty: Medium, Total hours hiking: ~17Avg, Trekking days: 4, Approximate trekking distance: ~53km
Day 1. Karakol – Sirota campsite:
In the morning, we will go by local bus to the Karakol Leskhoz (Karakol National Park) ~15min (20km). The hike to Sirota campsite takes around 5-6 hours (22km). You will be walking alongside the river for ~3 hours (11km) and then cross a bridge with a cable and trek up the valley to the campsite. You will be able to see Tien-Shan pine trees and the Karakol river flowing with glacier water. Overnight in the tent (Elevation: 2700m).
Day 2. Sirota Campsite – Ala-Kul Lake:
Leaving the campsite, you will summit Ala-Kul Lake (3600m) in ~2-3 hours (4km). Enjoy a short hike around the lake and it’s also possible to make a summit at one of the nearby peaks. During winter Ala-Kul freezes solid and it’s still a mystery how deep the lake is. Beware at night the temperatures fall below 0 C. Overnight in the tent (Elevation: 3500m).
Day 3. Ala-Kul lake – Altyn Arashan:
Leaving the campsite, you will summit Alakul pass (3860m) ~2 hours. Then you will descend to Keldiki gorge where you will find the Altyn Arashan Yurt camp/Accommodation ~4-5 hours (15km). Be aware that the Ala-Kul pass is very steep with many loose rocks and can be dangerous. Alyn-Arashan is famous because the Soviet Astronaut Yuri Gagarin rested at these пuesthouses to recover from his flight to space. Overnight in the Altyn-Arashan guesthouse. (Elevation: 2500m).
Day 4. Altyn Arashan – Karakol:
Leaving the campsite Altyn –Arashan you hike down to Aksu Village ~3-4 hours (16km). The trek down is very enjoyable after the last three days of uphill trekking. Once you’re in Aksu you will take a local-bus to Karakol ~30min (18km).
Price per person
2 pax: 375$/pp with 1 English / French speaking guide and 1 porter
3 pax: 270$/pp with 1 English / French speaking guide and 1 porter
4 pax: 310$/pp with 1 English / French speaking guide and 2 porters
5 pax: 270$/pp with 1 English / French speaking guide and 2 porters
6 pax: 275$/pp with 1 English / French speaking guide and 3 porters
Sometimes we have open groups for trekking, you can join the tour with other people. Please request.
The price includes:
– Organization of trek
– Local English / French speaking guide
– Number of porters as listed above. Porters are reasonable for caring 15 kg of equipment of your equipment.
– Full board (On day 1 breakfast is not included)
– Rent camping equipment (tents, kitchen utensils)
The price doesn’t include
– Insurance repatriation and CR insurance
– If you wish to hire an additional porter for your trip it cost 160$ for 4 days
– International airfare and taxes;
– Alcohol or sweetened mineral water;
– Staff extra costs and rental of personal equipment (ATV, sleeping bag, mats water bottle, flashlight, etc.)
– Additional costs due to personal problems (health, loss of luggage, etc.)
– This program is designed for walkers trained for 6-7 hours of trekking per day
– The program is designed as a guide. It can undergo changes due flight schedules, weather conditions and other unforeseen.
– On July 25, 2012, the visa is no longer required for Swiss citizens, EU, U.S., Canadian and Japanese (44 countries in all, see list on www mfa kg ), passport with at least 6 months valid for a period not exceeding 60 days. No mandatory vaccine.
Hope to see you in the land of Celestial Mountains soon!