Only one hour from blooming Almaty and you will find yourself in another Universe – Snow Planet called Cosmo-station. Backcountry in highlands with accommodation in the hut at an altitude of 3350 meters. Exciting ski runs every day and stunning view to the Big Almaty lake and glaciers.
Complexity of the route: moderate, for fit skiers and snowboarders with confident level of riding on wild terrain. It is required to have set of avalanche equipment.
Height difference: mountain hut is located at an altitude 3350 m.a.s.l. Daily elevation gain: 350-2000 meters. Length of descents: 500-3000 meters. Steepness of the slopes: 15 up to 40 degrees.
Route: Almaty – Big Almaty gorge – Big Almaty lake – Cosmo-station – TAU Spa complex – Almaty
Day 1. Almaty city – Cosmo-station
Meeting the guide in the lobby of your hotel at 6 o’clock in the morning. Transfer to Cosmo-station by comfortable 4WD vehicle. (40 km) Passing military check-point, where you will have to show your passports (boundary zone with Kyrgyzstan Republic). Arrival to the Cosmo-station at about 7 o’clock. Accommodation in the mountain hut with electricity, tab water, stove heating, rest room is outside. There are three bedrooms and dining room in the hut.
Backcountry to the nearest ridge of Almaty-Alagir mountains – western couloirs (north, north-east aspect) to the right side of old ski-lift. It will be possible to make three-four descents this day. Length of descents: up to 1 km each. Elevation gain/loss: 350-400 meters. Steepness of the slopes: from 15 to 40 degrees. After skiing, lunch in the mountain hut. Rest, walking around. Evening hiking to Big Almaty peak upon your wish. Dinner and overnight in the hut.
Meals included: L, D.
Day 2. Cosmo-station – Summits of Almaty Alagir Mountain Ridge
Early awakening at 6 o’clock. Breakfast and preparing for ski-touring. At 7.30 start moving along the route towards Tourist peak. Elevation gain: 1600 meters. Length of descent: 1,5 km. Steepness of the slopes: from 15 to 40 degrees. Descent by north, north-west face of the peak to the middle section of the old ski-lift. One more ascent by the same line and descent to the east couloir of the peak to the neighbour gorge. Length of descent: 3 km. Elevation gain: 500 m. Elevation loss: 900 m. Steepness of the slopes: from 15 to 40 degrees. Coming back to the mountain hut. Lunch, rest, free time. Tour around Cosmo-station and meeting with researchers who study cosmic particles in their laboratories. Dinner, overnight in the hut.
Tourist Peak (3954 m.a.s.l.) is located in the Big Almaty Spur, south of the Big Almaty Peak, Zhosalykezen Pass and west of Turan Peak. The top is simple and accessible from all sides. In winter, a small ski drag-lift operates on its slopes from the side of Zhosalykezen Pass.
Meals included: B, L, D.
Day 3. Cosmo-station – Summits of Almaty Alagir Mountain Ridge – Big Almaty Lake – Tau Spa complex – Almaty
Early wake up at 06:00. Breakfast, preparing equipment for the route. Start is not later than 07:30. Getting to the start point of backcountry route to Turan peak, one of the summits of Almaty Alagir mountain ridge by car. Ski-touring to the top with descent along the line of ascent (north-east exposure). Elevation gain: 715 meters, descent length ~ 5 km, duration: 4-5 hours. Slope gradient: 15 – 40 degrees.
Turan Peak (3960 m.a.s.l.) is located in the Big Almaty Spur to the east of Tourist Peak and north-east of Momyshuly Peak (formerly Cornice). The peak belongs to the Almaty Alagir mountain range. The former name is INP (in honor of the Institute of Nuclear Physics). Later it was renamed in honor of Turan University.
After coming back to the start point and transfer back to Cosmo-station. Lunch, packing stuff and departure to the open-air mountain SPA complex. On the way visiting observation view point, where breathtaking panorama of the Big Almaty Lake surrounded by white snowy peaks will be opened.
Lake appeared about 2000 years ago because of the earthquake. The landslide fell from Big Almaty peak and formed essential dam, lake was appeared behind it. Nowadays pure water from the lake is used for the supply part of Almaty city with drinking water.
TAU SPA or “TAU Dastarkhan” (what means “mountains and welcome served table”) is a unique high-mountain entertainment complex. Located at the foothills of Trans-Ili Alatau mountains, in the picturesque Alma-arasan gorge. Nine different steam rooms will help you to relieve tension in tired muscles.
Meals included: B, L.
*Depending on weather, temperature and snow conditions, the guide can make adjustments to the program.
Please note that it’s required to have insurance for extreme sports to be able to participate in this program.
- 875 USD for an individual tour
- 480 USD per person in a group of 2
- 350 USD per person in a group of 3
Each Additional Day:
- 200 USD for an individual tour
- 120 USD per person in a group of 2
- 90 USD per person in a group of 3
- English-speaking ski guide services.
- Transfer Almaty-Cosmo-station-Almaty.
- Meals according to the program.
- Accommodation in mountain hut at Cosmostation.
- Rental of ski and avalanche equipment.
- Visa support and registration in the territory of the Republic of Kazakhstan, if required.
- Meals (other than specified), personal expenses and other expenses not indicated in the program.
- Accommodation in Almaty before / after the tour.
- Insurance policy.
- Tickets to the open-air SPA (~20 USD).
- Cost of the dinner on Day 3 (~15 USD).
– Avalanche equipment (air bag system, shovel, probe, transceiver)
– Goggles with a spare lens for bright sunlight and cloudy weather
– Backpack with volume 25-35 liters with ski/snowboard fixation
Clothing and accessories
– Comfortable functional clothing for riding and ski-touring (base layer – thermal underwear, gore-tex jacket and pants, additional layers of clothing for insulation, downy sweater or vest, socks)
– Extra set of warm clothes, extra pair of shoes (sneakers or lightweight trekking shoes)
– Sleeping bag with a temperature zero – minus 5 degerees in comfort zone
– Gloves, mittens
– Hat, cap, neck gaiter
– Swimsuit, towel and flip-flops for visiting SPA-center
– Personal AID kit
– Thermos for the hot tea, water tank
– Head torch
– Personal hygiene stuff
– Proper ski-touring/snowboard boots
– Skis with ski-touring bindings/splitboard
– Climbing skins
– Ski crampons
– Snacks (protein and muesli bars, energy gels, ISOtonic or other special mountain nutrition)