Get off a tourist trail between Bukhara and Samarkand and enjoy another side of life in Uzbekistan. Explore the ancient sights from the time of Alexander Great in Nurata city. Stay in the desert Yurt camp and explore the landscape walking around the dunes or riding on the camels. Get to know the livelihood and land use activities of villages while you stay in the mountain homestay in the Nuratau Mountain village of Sentyab or Uhum. Join the homestay family in the preparation of traditional meal ‘Plov’.
- Ancient sights in Nurata city
- Stay in a Yurt camp and ride on the camel
- Swim or stroll along the shores of the Lake Aydar
- Relax in mountain homestays
- Get to know the daily livelihood activities of rural people
- Watch or participate in traditional cooking practices
- Have a little hike in Nurata mountains
Note: You can take the tour from Samarkand to Bukhara or the other way around. You can also choose between staying in Sentyab or Uhum villages. The itinerary changes slightly but activities stay the same. It is also possible to go to Yurt camp for just 1 night without staying in mountain homestays, but we think that by taking a full tour you will experience an interesting desert-mountain contrast and two different lifestyles.
Day 1. Samarkand – Uhum or Sentyab village (215 km)
Morning pick up from Samarkand, drive to Uhum village. After arrival in Uhum village, accommodation in a local guest house and introduction with facilities. This family house has a large orchard with fruit trees where tourists can spend some of their time at leisure on tapchan sofas (traditional outdoor seating). Lunch in the local guest house. PM. Walk about the village for watching village’s daily life (how people gather firewood or feed their livestock or chickens, harvest, grind corn and etc.). After getting back to family guesthouse, there will be a master-class where you have a good chance to watch or participate in cooking very popular Uzbek dish – Plov (or another national meal). Dinner and overnight in the guesthouse.
Day 2. Uhum village – Yangikazgan Yurt camp (150 km)
Breakfast in the guesthouse. Half day guided hiking tour to the area neighbouring with Nurata Nature Reserve (4 km o/w, walking about 4 hours). While you are hiking, you can be witness for some ancient irrigation channels, petroglyphs site and a mausoleum of Islamic priest. Return to the guesthouse and after having a lunch, transfer to Yangikazgan Yurt camp (150 km). After arrival, camel riding in Yangikazgan Yurt Camp. In the evening, sitting around the camp fire, enjoy the performance of Akyn – Kazakh folk singer. Overnight stay in Yurts.
Day 3. Yangikazgan Yurt camp– Nurata – Bukhara (220 km)
Early breakfast in yurt camp. Visit to Dungalak – a Kazakh village. Drive to Aydarkul Lake. The valley is one of the best places in Uzbekistan for bird watching. If you are lucky you can encounter the Lammergeyer and the Golden Eagle. Walking or watching around, swimming at options. Picnic lunch. Drive to Bukhara. En route stop at Nurata to visit Namazgokh mosque, the holy spring Chashma, and the ruins of fortress built by Alexander the Great. Upon arrival drop off to hotel/airport/railway station. End of the tour.
588 $ for one person
319 $ per person in a group of 2
279 $ per person in a group of 3
231 $ per person in a group of 4
203 $ per person in a group of 5
183 $ per person in a group of 6
Single supplement: 40 $
- Accommodations in guesthouse & yurt camp (twin sharing occupancy)
- Meals: 2 breakfasts, 1 lunch, 2 dinners
- Throughout English-speaking guide
- Entrance fees as per the program
- All transfers according to the program
- Modern transport with A/C (not older than 3 years): 1-2 pax-Sedan car (Chevrolet Lacetti); 3-4 pax-Van (Hyundai H-1 with 9 seats); 5-7 pax-Van (Toyota Hiace with 14 seats)
- Masterclass in cooking national dish with participation
- Show with some songs by a local singer (akyn) in yurt camp
- Show with some songs by a local singer (for a group larger than 6 people)
- 0.5-litre mineral water per day.
- Alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks
- Show with some songs by a local singer in guest house (if less than 6 people in a group)
- Personal expenses
- All not mentioned in above program
- Bank transfer charges.