International trains into and out of China

The Silk Road by train. Experts: Milad, Provodnik
andrewm857

International trains into and out of China

Post by andrewm857 »

I know the Vientiane - Kunming train is finally in service - has anyone seen or heard anything about the other routes? (ie Ürümqi - Almaty/Astana, Beijing - Ulaanbatar, Hanoi - Nanning) I'll even take wildly unfounded speculation at this point.
0 x

bamboo

Re: International trains into and out of China

Post by bamboo »

I’m also interested in the train from Beijing to Ulaabatar. As far as I know, international trains from/to China are still closed.
0 x

meithecatte

Re: International trains into and out of China

Post by meithecatte »

bamboo wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:59 am
I’m also interested in the train from Beijing to Ulaabatar. As far as I know, international trains from/to China are still closed.
At least in the Ulaanbaatar–Beijing direction, it is possible to do this with a few changes. The Mongolian railway runs trains from Ulaanbaatar to Erlian, and then you can take Chinese domestic trains with a change in either Jining or Hohhot. In the other direction, eticket.ubtz.mn doesn't list Erlian as a possible departure station, so I'm not sure how you'd go about obtaining the ticket for that. But you can cross the border using the cottage industry of jeeps that offer the service, and then hop on a train in Zamyn-Uud.
0 x