Horse trek to Song Kol

All about Kyrgyzstan.
krspl

Horse trek to Song Kol

Post by krspl »

Hi, I'll be travelling to Kyrgyzstan in August and am looking to do a 3 day horse trek to Song Kol. I've been contacting tour agencies online and the average price is around 230-250 USD.

I heard that it can be cheaper to book a horse trek in person at Kochkor. Would anyone be able to share around how much that would cost and if it's really possible to get a good tour one day before? Especially during the peak summer season. Thanks in advance!
0 x

Lutnistas1969

Re: Horse trek to Song Kol

Post by Lutnistas1969 »

Hello, I don't know exactly how much cost now the horse trek from Kochkor to Song-Kol lake, but as I was at the lake in 2018 I paid about 12€ for one horse per whole day. Besides, my impression ist, that there lives more horses than people, so probably you will not have any problems to book it one day in advance. Also I'm afraid, that the price will be lower than the one, which you already have found.
0 x

krspl

Post by krspl »

Ok thank you for the info!
0 x

Lutnistas1969

Post by Lutnistas1969 »

Just to be sure - I didn't do the horse trek from Kochchkor to Song-Kul.
I went to the lake, stayed there for three days and rented a horse from the owner of the yurt in which I slept.
By the trekking, you have to pay for a horse, accommodation, food and a guide, but I'm pretty sure it will be still cheaper when you book it in Kochkor.

Open Google Maps and type "Kochkor".
You will find some guesthouses. Almost everyone has a telephone number and probably most of them are mobile phones.
If you don't know Russian, use Google Translator and write to them on WhatsApp. Write simple, short sentences, the translation will be quite ok and they will understand it. Ask about the accommodation and by the way ask if they can organize such a trek for you. Ask about the prices. Probably they will giving you a bit higher, but you'll see if it's different from that, what you found on the Internet.
If you can, bargain for the price reduction. Don't worry, they will don't feel offended. In Central Asia, haggling is the national sport ;)
1 x

krspl

Post by krspl »

Got it! Thanks so much for the tips!!
0 x