Crossing Azerbaïdjan from Georgia to Kazakhstan with a car

Azerbaijan, Pakistan, Mongolia, Russia, Caucasus and beyond. Expert: Milad
sinclairsin

Re: Crossing Azerbaïdjan from Georgia to Kazakhstan with a car

Post by sinclairsin »

Any new reports on individuals using a tow truck or delivery service to cross the border? I would like to avoid the Russian route as I am American, but I welcome thoughts/reports on that as well. I plan to cross mid June, so the July extension ruins the possibility of driving from Georgia - Azerbaïdjan - Kazakhstan. I am going to NYC next week to apply for a Russian transit visa.
0 x

minion

Post by minion »

as of today:

Kazakhstan to Azerbaïdjan by ferry
> this is not possible

from Azerbaïdjan to Georgia by land
> this is possible
0 x

Fred DC

Post by Fred DC »

minion wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:57 pm
as of today:

> this is not possible

> this is possible
Thanks for the answer, but bad news.
Planned to go from France to Kyrgystan by motorcycle since 2020, seems that it won't be this year.
I don't want to cross Russia and Turkmenistan won't give transit visa this year
0 x

sinclairsin

Post by sinclairsin »

Fred DC wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:20 pm
minion wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:57 pm
as of today:

> this is not possible

> this is possible
Thanks for the answer, but bad news.
Planned to go from France to Kyrgystan by motorcycle since 2020, seems that it won't be this year.
I don't want to cross Russia and Turkmenistan won't give transit visa this year
Fred, there's a route from Georgia to Kazakhstan through Russia that is only 9-10 hours straight. I got a visa for this route in July, as my trip is already set in stone and I had to find a way to navigate past this Azerbaijan issue - 9-10 hours is not terrible.

You could probably still do your moto trip but yeah might be worth delaying.
0 x

Wolkman

Post by Wolkman »

Hi all,

I am doing a solo road trip by car from Amsterdam towards China (currently I am in Belgrade), and planned to go to Azerbaijan over land from Georgia some time in July. And then from Baku to Kazakhstan by boat. Apparently this is not possible, as the border is closed. Any tips from you on how to get eastwards from Georgia over land? These are my thoughts/concerns:

- Via Russia to Kazakhstan: is that risky/dangerous route for a solo traveller? Any specific documents that I need?
- Via Iran: I understood you need a Carnet de Passage, is there another way to transit through Iran without that document? And then there is the difficulty of getting through Turkmenistan. They don't give out transit visas anymore, but can you get through Turkmenistan to Kazakhstan or Uzbekistan with your own car on a tourist visa?
- Via Azerbaijan: letting you car get transported to Baku from the Georgian border, and then fly yourself to Baku to pick up the car? And then take the boat from Baku to Kazakhstan. Is this feasible, and how does it work? Guess there are high costs coming with transporting your car....

If you have any thoughts on this, they are more than welcome!

Cheers Wouter
1 x

JakubSerwa

Post by JakubSerwa »

Drove last year from Kazakhstan to Georgia via Russia, no problems and easy borders. Car registered in Poland, two Polish nationals. We had a tourist visa for Russia from the Warsaw embassy.

Iran without CdP will be around 800-1000 USD. Can be done with a guy named Hossein - info to be found on the forum. We did both options, one with Hossein, the other with our own CdP. Both required several hours on the Turkish-Iranian border, lots of chaos, but doable.

We plan to go to Mongolia this summer and will apply for Russian visas soon. My view is there’s a lot of unjustified anti-Russian propaganda, also on this forum.

Good luck!
0 x