Where to find white gas/Coleman fuel in Baku?

Azerbaijan, Pakistan, Mongolia, Russia, Caucasus and beyond. Expert: Milad
RidingABikeSomewhere

Where to find white gas/Coleman fuel in Baku?

Post by RidingABikeSomewhere »

I am flying into Baku this spring for a cycling trip and I want to immediately find white gas/Coleman fuel for my multifuel stove. (I only burn dirty, smelly, toxic petrol if there is no other option.) Does anyone know where I can find it? I am sure it exists somewhere, even if it is sold as a cleaning product and not a stove fuel.
0 x

agshin

Re: Where to find white gas/Coleman fuel in Baku?

Post by agshin »

Probably it is to late to reply. In any hardware shop you can buy a thinner, that is refined kerosene, that has less smell and soot than regular kerosene, but a little more expensive - about US$ 2.0/litre. You can also use that in a kerosene torch.
1 x
Agshin

RidingABikeSomewhere

To reply to my own post: I spent a day walking around Baku and visiting hardware stores. All sell a yellow liquid, which appears to be kerosene, in reused 1L Coca-Cola bottles for about 3 manat/liter and this works in my MSR Whisperlite stove. I bought three bottles from different shops to test them out, but it all seems the same. Sadly, this liquid burns very dirty and leaves a strong smell on the stove and pots. I would have liked to find true white gas/Coleman fuel, which leaves no smell or residue – after all, it is sold in many countries as a cleaning product – but the Baku sellers knew nothing about this or where to find it.
1 x

RidingABikeSomewhere

For those travelers who are immediately continuing on to Aktau: the Vostok hardware store in Aktau (coordinates 43.6533, 51.1571) stocked many one-liter bottles of good, clean stove fuel under the name "вайт спирит".
0 x