Tajik / Kyrgyzh - Travel schedule - suggestions welcome

All about Tajikistan. Expert: Pamirski, Christian77
bananiste

Tajik / Kyrgyzh - Travel schedule - suggestions welcome

Post by bananiste »

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the amazing website and forum. More helpful than anything else.
We (a couple) will be in the area from the 5th of August (Tachkent) to the 26 of August (Och). We are good hikers, and we would like to find nice itinerance roads going through isolated areas. We don't want to carry camping stuff and better use homestays to remain light and meet the people.

Here is our schedule with some options/ variations. I would appreciate to receive your suggestions.

5th August : Tachkent => Dushanbe (our "domestic" flight between the two countries was postponed by three days so we decided to reach Dushanbe by car...)
6th : Dushanbe
7th : Dushanbe - Khorog
8th : Khorog
9th - Khorog - Jisev
10th =>15th : Jisev - Badir. (Hike through Bartang valley and once arrived in Badir, relax and explore villages around)
16th => Badir => Khorog

Then two options :

Option 1
17th => 23 : Khorog - Wakhan Valley (Langar... and around? Vague plan at this point!)
23=>24 : Reach Murgab
25 = > Reach Osh
26 : Flight

Option 2 :
17 : Khorog - Mourgab
18 : Mourgab
19 : Mourgab => Osh
20 : Osh => Arlansbob
20 =>25 : Arlansbob
25 : Arlansbob - Osh
26 : Flight

Our journey includes a lot of roads, but I don't see how to reduce it... Whether we go to Arlansbob or wakhan adds some length. We were also considering the Fann or the Pasht valley (Gharm, Rajt). I think my preference goes to the Pasht (since the Fanns looks dry and harsh and my girlfriend already visited Pakistan which she finds pretty similar) but I have difficulties to find reliable informations about how feasible is a four days hike in Pasht and what we can except exactly.

Merci d'avance !
Benoît
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Tajik / Kyrgyzh - Travel schedule - suggestions welcome

Post by steven »

Hi Benoit,

I think both your plans make sense. I would perhaps pick option 2 to Arslanbob, just to see something different, rather than 2 hikes in Tajikistan. But Wakhan is also very loved, so you are not making a bad decision there should you choose that one.

Nice hikes around Arslanbob go to Ortok or to the Holy Lakes. http://caravanistan.com/trip-reports/ho ... arslanbob/

I think your itinerary is good. It's always a lot of time on the road in Central Asia, it is simply a big place. You take time for some slow travel to recover from all the bumpy roads and border posts, so I think it will be quite enjoyable and a fun adventure.

Enjoy!
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

bananiste

Post by bananiste »

Thanks Steven for your reply and advices.
Indeed, we definitely like to take our time (a luxury..)
We are now considering to reach Khorog in two days by Kalaikum.... :)
Then we will spend one week or more in the Bartang and according to our feeling we will decide whether we want to go to arslanbob or wakhan.. !
1 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Good idea. It is important to have a plan. It is also important to be able to change it on the go :-)
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D