Baku - Turkmenbashi - Konyeurgench (- Nukus): transit visa vs. tourist visa (/ VOA?)

All about Turkmenistan
DamiaanReijnaers

Baku - Turkmenbashi - Konyeurgench (- Nukus): transit visa vs. tourist visa (/ VOA?)

Post by DamiaanReijnaers »

A transit visa seems to allow for more freedom (because of being able to travel independently) and would supposedly be a cheaper option overall. However, as they're usually given out only for a period of 3 to 5 days (or sometimes 7), would they even be an option if planning to catch one of the infrequent ferries from Baku to Turkmenbashi? I emailed the Brussels embassy with this question and they adviced a tourist visa. What would be the best bet here? A transit-visa? A visa-on-arrival? I am planning to spend at maximum 5 days on the total itinerary (but possibly even less; if needed, only 3).

As a side question: a tour operator recently told me that the sea border is "closed" and no ferries are running from Baku (only cargo ships). I was planning to hop on exactly such cargo ferry, but the agent says it's not possible. Is that information correct?
0 x

agshin

Re: Baku - Turkmenbashi - Konyeurgench (- Nukus): transit visa vs. tourist visa (/ VOA?)

Post by agshin »

I can answer for sure that Alat, Azerbaijan - Kuryk, Kazakhstan cargo ferries take several (about 20) passengers. But to Turkmenbashi should be double checked. Regarding sea border, foreigners can leave Azerbaijan via sea.

Phone numbers of Baku port (no idea if they speak English, but Russian should be common)
Port Sales and Marketing Department
+994 (12) 4934097

E-mail: [email protected]

For possible problems
+994 (55) 212 15 10
+994 (55) 400 09 45

Boat arrival dispatcher:
+994 (55) 205 40 33
1 x
Agshin

jackfack

Re: Baku - Turkmenbashi - Konyeurgench (- Nukus): transit visa vs. tourist visa (/ VOA?)

Post by jackfack »

agshin wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:21 pm
I can answer for sure that Alat, Azerbaijan - Kuryk, Kazakhstan cargo ferries take several (about 20) passengers. But to Turkmenbashi should be double checked. Regarding sea border, foreigners can leave Azerbaijan via sea.

Phone numbers of Baku port (no idea if they speak English, but Russian should be common)
Port Sales and Marketing Department
+994 (12) 4934097

E-mail: [email protected]

For possible problems
+994 (55) 212 15 10
+994 (55) 400 09 45

Boat arrival dispatcher:
+994 (55) 205 40 33
Hello Aqsin, are you sure of the information about the possibility for foreigners to leave AZN by sea ? I've been told otherwise but haven't check seriously.
Thx
0 x

agshin

Post by agshin »

Hi. I dont work there anymore but few weeks ago I heard from travellers that they left Azerbaijan via sea to Kuryk, Kazakhstan.
If you speak at least Azerbaijani, Turkish or Russian (not sure about English) you can call state Border service at +994 12 1658 to make sure. I am pretty sure that the situation is the same
Regards
1 x
Agshin

agshin

Post by agshin »

Hello Aqsin, are you sure of the information about the possibility for foreigners to leave AZN by sea ? I've been told otherwise but haven't check seriously.
Thx
[/quote]

Sorry for late answer. I only reply when/if receive notification. I did not receive any.
Foreigners still can leave Azerbaijan via sea and land. And this information is accurate.
0 x
Agshin