Cycling Tehran to Shiraz in July - how warm?

All about Iran
Fairmount

Cycling Tehran to Shiraz in July - how warm?

Post by Fairmount »

Hello everyone

I am currently in Tehran, visiting a bunch of embassies and doing some regular sightseeing in between. After this I want to visit Esfahan and Shiraz, but I'm a bit worried about the weather. Does anyone have experience cycling there at this time of the year, or experience of other physical activity, hiking etc. in the area? Are there many villages or must I carry much water with me? With my current setup I'm capable of carrying 15 liters of water.

Coming from the Armenian border over the last 10 days it was warm, not at all unbearably but quite warm still. Someone told me this part of the country was the "nice, cool part" and the road from Tehran towards Shiraz is quite the opposite. What might I expect?
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Cycling Tehran to Shiraz in July - how warm?

Post by steven »

It's desert, obviously. Temperatures hover around 40 degrees Celsius in July. So, in general, most people would not like to cycle there. But if you are a bit tougher than average, go ahead.

In my opinion, the landscape is not inspiring though.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

aroch200e

Post by aroch200e »

Hello, being in Yazd at this time, it is very hot between noon to 5 pm, around 40 or maybe more, streets are empty on the afternoon and people come out around 7pm. Same in Chiraz. It was a little cooler in Ispahan relativly speaking of course... The road between Ispahan to Chiraz is 90% in the desert with almost no shade, even with the AC on in the car we were feeling the heat radiate from the windows. It is also very long, around 1000 km teheran to Chiraz. I would not recommand cycling at this time and we have not crossed any cyclers...
0 x

bodenseeoverlander

Post by bodenseeoverlander »

And if people talk about 40 ... it's 40 degrees in the shadow! This means the road will be hot as hell! We drive in a Land Rover and it is ... way too hot here. :)
0 x
We are a German couple driving around the world in a 20 year old Land Rover Defender - Bodensee Overlander Blog :!: