Is it possible to scrap a EU car in India?

Self-driving the Silk Road.
albertobrionesp1

Is it possible to scrap a EU car in India?

Post by albertobrionesp1 »

Hi:
y question is: what should I do with my old car once I arrive to India? Is it possible to scrap it?

I dont want to do anything illegally or abandon.
Do you know if is it possible to scrap the car and fly back home safely? (without importing)

plan B would be shipping it back. But I dont need it. The cost will be probably higher than the car itself.

Any recommendations?
Thanks in advance
Alberto
0 x

Roadtophnompenh

Re: Is it possible to scrap a EU car in India?

Post by Roadtophnompenh »

It depends ofcourse that you are on a carnet or not. Belgian RACB who delivers carnets, need a prove of return from the car, in Belgium, stamped by belgian customs, if not, you are fu****. In India to ship a car is a dissater, but possible, i shipped mine to Malaysia, it took exactly 1 month to get the car from my hotel out on the docks and on the ship. 2 Weeks later i was back on the road in Malaysia !! When you enter Wagah-border, the SIK-guy who stamps your carnet is very friendly and speaks perfect english. I would ask him how to do it, but ofcourse, you want to know before you go there i think !! ??
0 x

smallcog

Post by smallcog »

India I would say it is impossible but Nepal is another matter, I have seen a Dutch person sell their broken 4x4 to an individual at the border with China and the buyer sorted out customs and the carnet was not stamped, whether or not you need to present the vehicle to Belgian customs to confirm it has been returned is another matter.
1 x

albertobrionesp1

yes.. i ant to know beforehand... but i honestly dont care if I loose the deposit of the carnet the passage but I can avoid the fact of dealing with shiping...thats why I thought: could I sel the car to a man in the countryside for 100$ and "forget about it" ??

what do you think? @Roadtophnompenh ?
0 x

PeterM

Post by PeterM »

Dear Alberto,

did you already ask how much is the deposit for your car's Carnet de Passage ?
Normally, we are talking about several thousand euros !

If you really don't car about the CdP deposit, then, of course, you can probably leave the car anywhere.

Peter
0 x

albertobrionesp1

PeterM wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:36 am
Dear Alberto,

did you already ask how much is the deposit for your car's Carnet de Passage ?
Normally, we are talking about several thousand euros !

If you really don't car about the CdP deposit, then, of course, you can probably leave the car anywhere.

Peter
ah okok I read wrong and I thought the CdP deposit was around 250 eur only. The Deposit will be higher than my own car cost.
Now with this new info I am a little disappointed I cant imagine how to proceed :/
0 x

Roadtophnompenh

Post by Roadtophnompenh »

The CDP costs 250 euro in belgium. The deposit is the worth of the car (more or less) !! I had a 9-year old lexus RX 450 and told RACB in Belgium its worth about 10k, whats cheap, but they agreed about it !!
0 x

PeterM

Post by PeterM »

Dear Alberto,

a) there is a fee for getting the CdP. It depends on the organisation that will give you the CdP.
150-300 Euros per year.
This fee is always lost.

b) Before you will receive the CdP, they will ask you to send them money. That is the deposit.
The deposit should be equal to the car value - but there will be a minimum !
You will get only back the deposit if you return wih the car and CdP to Europe.

Peter
0 x