Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan in March/April

Post your itinerary questions and trip reports here
GreenHolly

Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan in March/April

Post by GreenHolly »

Hi all,

I'm planning a trip to Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan starting in Turkmenistan in late February and finishing in Kazakhstan at the end of April.

I realise it will be quite cold during this time but am hoping to get advice on whether there are any outdoor activities (especially hiking, horse treks) or yurt stays that would still be possible to do at this time of year? Any recommendations would be very much appreciated! Any other recommendations about good things to do at this time of year would be very welcome too.

Thanks!
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan in March/April

Post by steven »

Turkmenistan/Uzbekistan in March is good, not too hot. South of Kazakhstan will be nice from early April onwards. Of course, we are talking about the plains here, in the mountains it will still be snowy over 2000m. It is a good time for visiting the cities and desert, not so much for mountains. Maybe a camel trek in Uzbekistan (or Turkmenistan, if you have the money)? http://caravanistan.com/places/camel-tr ... um-desert/ In Kazakhstan, Aksu-Zhabagly is a good place to go for a horse trek. Will be nice and green there after the bleak desert, and you might be just in time for tulip season, a technicolor highlight.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

GreenHolly

Re: Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan in March/April

Post by GreenHolly »

Thanks so much Steven - that's very reassuring. I'll follow up those ideas. Thanks!
1 x