Mini - Silk Road trip - 4 weeks itinerary

Post your itinerary questions and trip reports here
Tasurinchi

Mini - Silk Road trip - 4 weeks itinerary

Post by Tasurinchi »

Hi!

I'm planing a trip thru Central Asia for four weeks in June and I could use some advise. My current "draft" plan:

- Fly from Europe to Almaty
- Fly from Almaty to Kashgar (via Urumqi) - Two day stay
- Irkeshtam pass to Sary-Tash (or straight to Osh)
- Osh and surroundings (1 or more days?)
- Osh to Tajikistan. This being my main concern right now due to the border disputes
- ???
- ??? to Usbekistan
- "Classic" route visiting Samarkand - Bukhara - Khiva - Nukus
- Back to Shymkent - Cross to Kazakhstan
- Turkestan
- Back to Almaty and then Europe

So basically my main question revolves around Osh to Tajikistan, what is a safe and (relatively) less hassle crossing? So far I can read the Fergana area is off limits.

Furthermore, any tips for Osh and surroundings?

Thanks a lot in advance
0 x
Going 4 weeks for a "mini" Silk Road trip in June

StephParis

Re: Mini - Silk Road trip - 4 weeks itinerary

Post by StephParis »

I really don't see the point in going to China for a couple of days. Keep China for a dedicated trip and head south from Kazakhstan to Osh through Bichkek, then Tajikistan, Uzbekistan and back to Kazakhstan. As for Osh to Tajikistan, I guess you'll have to go through an agency.
0 x

sebhoff

Post by sebhoff »

I’d second that (and as you know, I’ve just been to Kashgar).
Some thoughts:
I’d drop Turkestan. If you’ve just seen the major Uzbek Silk Road cities, you’ll be disappointed.
Why go back to Almaty? You can surely find an open-jaw flight that will reduce unnecessary travel time?
I’d not leave out Bishkek - it’s more interesting than Osh.
You don’t mention Tashkent - are you really leaving it out?
There’s a weekly (I think) train from Tashkent via Samarkand to Dushanbe - perhaps this is a better way to get to Tajikistan?

Obviously it depends on your preferences, but you could do:
Almaty - Bishkek - flight to Osh - Uzbek Fergana Valley - Tashkent - Khiva/Nukus - Bukhara - Samarkand - Dushanbe - flight to Khujand - train to Samarkand, and then back home from wherever it suits you. You could also add Termez on the way to Dushanbe. (That’s a very city-based itinerary - but it could easily be extended to include more nature…)
0 x

Tasurinchi

Post by Tasurinchi »

Thanks a lot for all your feedback guys! Really appreciate it...
StephParis wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:47 am
I really don't see the point in going to China for a couple of days
Well, I did not mention it in my OP, but one of the main (if not THE main) highlights of this trip is doing the Silk Road in the "ancient" way, crossing from China to the West via Irkeshtam. Originally I wanted to start in Xian, but that would have shortened the trip to the -stans. Furthermore, I've been to China before, and I will sure come back for China-only trip someday :-)
sebhoff wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:07 pm
I’d drop Turkestan. If you’ve just seen the major Uzbek Silk Road cities, you’ll be disappointed.
Oh, that's very good to know...
sebhoff wrote:
I’d not leave out Bishkek - it’s more interesting than Osh.
You don’t mention Tashkent - are you really leaving it out?
Well, so far I read the "nets" those two cities were not mentioned as particularly interesting... I will need to further investigate
The second highlight of my trip was to follow the ancient Silk Road cities, hence Osh and Khujand are on my head and then head to Usbekistan as outlined in my post... And I'd try to do this by land as much as I can...
sebhoff wrote:
Why go back to Almaty?
I got a very cheap return flight to Europe...
sebhoff wrote:
(That’s a very city-based itinerary - but it could easily be extended to include more nature…)
Historical cities are my thing, there's enough nature where I live :D

Thanks again for the feedback! I'll keep this thread posted...
0 x

sebhoff

Post by sebhoff »

Tashkent has great museums, a wonderful metro, a fascinating market and plenty of Soviet architecture/mural art. I find it a really attractive place to visit. I also don’t regret spending three nights in Bishkek, which I found to be much more enjoyable than claimed by many. But then again, my penchant for Soviet mosaics and brutalist architecture may be considered somewhat niche… ;)
If you want to do as little flying as possible, you could cross into China from Almaty and then take a night train to Kashgar from Urumqi.
I included two flights in my suggestions (Bishkek to Osh and Dushanbe to Khujand) because the overland alternatives involve uncomfortable (and much more dangerous) shared taxi rides or fairly expensive private transfers. Both flights are comparatively cheap. Plus, I’m a train person… ;)
Happy planning!
1 x

Tasurinchi

Post by Tasurinchi »

Cool, I will keep a slot open for Tashkent then, I forgot they have wonderful metro stations, (I visited the Moscow one ages ago and I was flabbergasted)
0 x

StephParis

Post by StephParis »

If you already know China that's a different story ! Too bad you can't ad an other city in Xinjiang before heading west (Hotan for exemple).
Regarding the cities, it's all about personal taste. Make your own choice so that you don't have anyone to blame ;)

Enjoy
1 x

Tasurinchi

Post by Tasurinchi »

StephParis wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:32 pm
Make your own choice so that you don't have anyone to blame
Sh!t, you got me... :D

Jokes aside, thanks for the tip about Hotan, I guess indeed Xinjiang is a worth trip of its own, that will be a topic for a future trip
0 x

sebhoff

Post by sebhoff »

I was told that Turpan was very much worth a visit (but again, I didn’t have enough time).
0 x