Dushanbe-moscow train to Beyneu

Post your itinerary questions and trip reports here
aal

Dushanbe-moscow train to Beyneu

Post by aal »

Hi,

Caravanistan website ("Train in Uzbekistan" page) states: "There are no trains from Uzbekistan to Turkmenistan and Kyrgyzstan. The Moscow-Dushanbe train passes Uzbekistan, but does not stop anywhere. Even if it would, you would still need a Turkmen transit visa for it."

Apologies for my continuing english comprehension issues, but what does that last sentence mean? The train goes through Uzbekistan without stopping, but if it were to stop in Uzbekistan, one would need a Turkmen transit visa? That does not compute. Does it mean that the train passes through both Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan? Are any transit visa(s) required to ride this train?

I was hoping that what it means is that the train goes through Uzbekistan without stopping, and therefore one does NOT need an UZBEKISTAN transit visa to ride it.

My question: Can I ride this train from Dushanbe (Tajikistan) to Beyneu (Kazakhstan) without needing any transit visa for Uzbekistan and / or Turkmenistan?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers....

Andrew.
0 x

Crazydre
Visa expert
Visa expert

Re: Dushanbe-moscow train to Beyneu

Post by Crazydre »

Because this train mainly caters to Tajik migrants, there's an informal deal letting Tajiks pass through Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan on it without transit visas (which they normally need for these countries).

Everyone else needing visas for these countries will need them, and the Uzbek visa needs to be double-entry

Source: recently called one of the Turkmen border checkpoints as well as the Uzbek MFA
1 x

aal

Post by aal »

Thanks Crazydre,

That's interesting. Actually, I went to the train station in Dushanbe yesterday, where they said no Uzbek visa is required, but Turkmenistan transit visa is definitely required, because the train stops there.

However, I am sure you are right. Either way, it makes no difference to me because one cannot take this train without the Turkmen visa, so I revert to the original plan, Dushanbe, Samarkand, Tashkent, Shymkent, Actau, and so I applied for the Uzbek tranist visa yesterday.

Note: Near the Uzbek embassyin Dushanbe, there is a small shop that rapidly completes visa paper work for 10 somoni. Since the embassy closes for applications 20 mins after I arrived there at 11:40am on a Friday, this service saved me up to 3 days. They also advised that it is possible to apply online for UZbek e-visa, and that one can check one's visa status online. I did not see any of that on Caravanistan. Is this real? Any comments? I will try it later and report if it functions.

Thanks.

Andrew.
0 x

Crazydre
Visa expert
Visa expert

Post by Crazydre »

aal wrote:they said no Uzbek visa is required, but Turkmenistan transit visa is definitely required, because the train stops there.
Most likely they're not used to non-CIS nationals, and as CIS nationals are visa-exempt for UZ they could well have assumed the same applies to you.

That said, my Uzbek source is the MFA and not an actual border checkpoint. Could call the Kudukhly checkpoint and double-check (for general reference)
aal wrote:They also advised that it is possible to apply online for UZbek e-visa, and that one can check one's visa status online. I did not see any of that on Caravanistan. Is this real? Any comments? I will try it later and report if it functions.
It's an electronic application form, not an e-visa. Non-sticker visas have yet to be introduced in UZ.
1 x

aal

Post by aal »

Hi,

I have successfully used the Uzbekistan e-visa site, http://evisa.mfa.uz, to check status on my transit visa application. Put in passport number, and it reports:

Visa application form of
MY FULL NAME
is under consideration
0 x

aal

Post by aal »

Hi,

I have successfully used the Uzbekistan e-visa site, http://evisa.mfa.uz, to check status on my transit visa application. Put in passport number, and it reports:

Visa application form of
MY FULL NAME
is under consideration

Cheers....

Andrew
0 x