Ishkashim border crossing (and market): open or closed?

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
moffy

Re: Ishkashim border crossing: open or closed?

Post by moffy »

Hello, we crossed the Eshkashim border check point in July. Got visas at Khorog, very easy process. If nobody is at the gate you can go to the building about 200m down the road towards Eshkashim to get someone.
2 x

VTrembleySF

Post by VTrembleySF »

I saw the past post was some time ago on this subject but wondering if anyone might know if the Ishkashim border safe to cross currently? Was planning on going in early January - is the Saturday bazar still open in the winter? Can you still cross with a Tajik visa if they hold your passports?
0 x

MattUK

Post by MattUK »

Recently back from Tajikistan. The soldiers at the nearby Tajik military post told us that the Afghan bazaar was due to reopen after Kurban Eid (i.e. 10/11th September 2017).

Regarding safety on the Afghan side, I didn't hear any reports of the insurgency since the May 2017 stuff in Zebak. I guess just bear in mind that you're heading into a country without a decent grip on its internal security. As ever though, your chances of being in a road accident are statistically far higher than getting caught up in terrorist incident. Hope that's comforting!
1 x

robert

Post by robert »

The Ishkashim border market was still closed last week.
1 x

tatterdemalion

Post by tatterdemalion »

From what I heard in Kabul about the area from expats and locals, it certainly doesn't sound like it's a safe time to go.
Visiting Eshkashem itself shouldn't be a problem but venturing further I wouldn't

On the whole, the situation in Afghanistan is worsening day by day.

Again, this is all from what I've heard, but at the same time, I've not heard a single account to contradict it.
2 x

tatterdemalion

Post by tatterdemalion »

I should have posted this over a month ago.

There were two Australians that bribed or somehow lost $2000 to the border police exiting here.

From what I heard they might have been quite naïve as they thought they were the first tourists in Afghanistan for two years...

Either way, if anyone is passing through here this is extra reason to hide your money.
2 x

dashtnavard

Post by dashtnavard »

Hi, any 2018 report on Ishkasim border crossing? Is it open?
0 x

htatche

Post by htatche »

The season for the Pamir is about to start so we should be getting input soon, I hope.
0 x

laurent_rio

Post by laurent_rio »

How about border market in Iskashim , is it still operated ?
0 x

ventureforthphoto

Post by ventureforthphoto »

I am planning a trip to the Afghan Wakhan for this summer, and so have been in touch with a couple of guides on the Afghan side. They both report that the border crossing is open.
1 x