The Caravanistan Border Crossing Map

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
SalSalFR

The Caravanistan Border Crossing Map

Post by SalSalFR »

Hello guys,
I've been looking at the border crossing map from here : https://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/ and it looks like it's not been updated for a while; i've been trying to have a look if i could update some stuff myself but didnt find it ? Is there a way that we could update it ? or have a shared map to do updates more often ?
Don't know to much about that, as i said, so just asking if there is a way to do our own updates for people/us or we would need to do a new map ?
Cheers !
1 x

sebhoff

Re: The Caravanistan Border Crossing Map

Post by sebhoff »

Yes, some info is definitely outdated, so this would be very welcome... For example, someone just posted this on the Tripadvisor Kyrgyzstan forum:
There is no restrictions in crossing all 3 borders near Bishkek and Tokmok town. All are bilateral and become international borders from last year.
Before, Tokmok Avtodorojnyi and Ken Bulun borders were only for Kazakh and Kyrgyz citizens crossing. Now these borders are available for all foreigners with eligible visa.
Only Kara - Suu border is closed because under constructions now, but open for cargo trucks.
Remote Kegen border doesn not close every year anymore. That is old info about closing at winter until May.
Now Kegen border works whole year.Only its working hours is until sunset everyday ( at light time of the day).
Steven hasn't been active on the forum since Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:16 pm, and I strongly suspect this is not because he has lost interest... On Facebook "Caravanistan" posted the following message on 14 December: "We are back in Business! You can organize tours with us in Central Asia in 2023. Forum and website will be updated too." So let's just hope whatever stops him/Saule from updating things will disappear soon...

Sebastian
3 x

SalSalFR

Post by SalSalFR »

Thanks for the news ! I'll have a look sometimes then :)
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Hi Sebastian, SalSal,

I am here. Will update soon, in the coming days. I know it's been too long. It was part disillusionment with pandemic etc. no travelers, no income either, so that motivation disappeared. And then I got busy with my new job. Just didn't have the time until very recently.

I cleared my agenda for the next few weeks to work on Caravanistan, though, so expect updates to come flying in over the next few days.

Apologies for the long absence,
Steven
5 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

sebhoff

Post by sebhoff »

Welcome back - very happy to "see" you alive and kicking!
Caravanistan is a wonderful resource/community - and I was getting slightly worried... Travellers are definitely back! I'm looking forward to your updates!
Sebastian
1 x

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

Thanks Steven, just tipped you using your link in your signature !
1 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Thanks guys!
0 x

OWNER

Post by OWNER »

While the update is being prepared, you can view a summary of the checkpoints on this resource.
Border Kazakhstan/Kyrgyzstan/Uzbekistan https://roadstravel.ru/perekhod-granits ... a-mashine/
Kazakhstan/Russia border (east) https://roadstravel.ru/perekhod-granits ... ne-vostok/
Kazakhstan/Russia border (west) https://roadstravel.ru/perekhod-granits ... ine-zapad/
1 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

I have updated all the border crossing articles. Do let me know if there are still mistakes/inaccuracies or old information that needs reviewing.

Visa articles and practical planning pages will be for next week.

Thanks!
2 x

sebhoff

Post by sebhoff »

Cool - thanks! A quick scan revealed a minor copy/paste issue for Kasakhstan:
Other transport - Tashkent -> Shymkent is found twice with the same text.

Also, the information copied in my first reply in this thread doesn't seem to be reflected in what's on your Kyrgyzstan page, where it still says that the crossings near Tokmok are bilateral. Is that intentional - e.g. because you haven't verified the info?

Sebastian
0 x