Irkhestam or Khorgos?

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
fuzzyfurs

Irkhestam or Khorgos?

Post by fuzzyfurs »

Hi!

I am currently in northern Pakistan and am planning to cross the border into China to connect to the Stans. Which border crossing is easier and less costly: Irkeshtam (to Kyrgyzstan) or Khorgos (to Kazakhstan)?

I am rather flexible with timing, schedule and route. If you have any experiences with either of these borders, please let me know. Thank you!

Contact me, Sarah, at [email protected]
0 x

sebhoff

Re: Irkhestam or Khorgos?

Post by sebhoff »

Definitely Khorgos.
0 x

fuzzyfurs

Post by fuzzyfurs »

Could you help to provide more details? From what I've read, it is not allowed to cross Khorgos on foot and it isn't that easy to hitch a ride to the border either. And of course a taxi will cost. So, am wondering why you think Khorgos is the better option?
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

What have you read about Irkeshtam?
0 x

fuzzyfurs

Post by fuzzyfurs »

Irkeshtam: That is also not possible to hitchhike and you have to take a taxi on both sides. That and the 4h lunch break...
0 x

sebhoff

Post by sebhoff »

You can theoretically hitchhike on the Kyrgyz side. On the Chinese side, everything from the customs checkpoint at Wuqia (about 140km inland) is heavily controlled and regulated.
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

fuzzyfurs wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:03 am
Irkeshtam: That is also not possible to hitchhike and you have to take a taxi on both sides. That and the 4h lunch break...
So it sounds like Khorgos is easier.
0 x

fuzzyfurs

Post by fuzzyfurs »

An update: I ended up not using the Khorgos border as it would have cost more from Kashgar. The trains to Urumqi/Yining and then to the border and would most likely cost ~1000rmb in total and the travel time is a little shorter.

I used the Torugart border instead and you can read it here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11646&p=51385#p51385

Alternatively, I have recently heard from a foreigner managed to successfully cross the Dulata border (just south of Khorgos) from Yining.
0 x

otis_rtePL

Post by otis_rtePL »

Just created the account to ask that
I am planning to make Urumqui - Kashgar - Bishkek this August and this gave me hope!

However I am planning to go with 4 mates and we are standing out "obviously colouristicly" with no Mandarin . Do you think they would accept us on the Biskhek bus?
0 x

fuzzyfurs

Post by fuzzyfurs »

otis_rtePL wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 5:07 pm
Just created the account to ask that
I am planning to make Urumqui - Kashgar - Bishkek this August and this gave me hope!

However I am planning to go with 4 mates and we are standing out "obviously colouristicly" with no Mandarin . Do you think they would accept us on the Biskhek bus?
They have no grounds to reject you so long as you have your visa requirements for Kyrgyzstan straightened out prior and can pay for your ticket. However, I foresee that perhaps you will have some difficulty finding out when the bus runs as there is no fixed schedule, esp without Mandarin. You might need to travel down to the bus terminal to check. Definitely prepare your translator app on your phone prior. Good luck!
0 x