Uzbekistan closed 20 Aug - 5 Sep

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
Ecovelo

Re: Uzbekistan closed 20 Aug - 5 Sep

Post by Ecovelo »

So here is an Update on the Uzbek borders from today.

This morning I cycled to the border at Izboskan, where I got told that every border with Kyrgiztan is closed except the one in Vodil, South of Fergana. After taking a Taxi to Vogil I got stopped at a police checkpoint 5km in fornt of the border terminal. Police officers told me the border is closed and I have to turn around. I asked if I can have a look at least because at another border I got told that it should be open. There was no chance of convincing them and my taxi driver was scared to get thrown into jail so we had to go back to Fergana.
In the guesthouse in Fergana I met two travellers that crossed the Dostlik-Osh border today from Kyrgiztan into Uzbekistan without problems. Tomorrow I will try it over there. Right now I am just confused about why Uzbekistan won"t let me, as a tourist, leave their country
1 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Thanks, please keep us updated!
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Ecovelo

Post by Ecovelo »

So I went to the Dostlik-Osh border today and it is still open for Kyrgyz people as well as tourists. In fact, it was a very easy border crossing for Central Asia. Don't panic if people (mostly police) tell you that all borders are closed. Go to this crossing and have a look for yourself. I can't be 100% sure but I guess it will stay open for the next 10 days.

Happy travels
1 x

finaltransit

Post by finaltransit »

I already have a visa for uzbekistan and planning to enter the country on 28 or 29 August. As per information on this post, people like me shouldn't have a problem - hoping the information in this post is based on people's actual experience! Thanks!!
0 x

Osh2Tash

Post by Osh2Tash »

We are also planning to cross from Osh to Andijon on August 29th. We spoke with the embassy in Washington DC and the consul in Bishkek and were assured that, with a valid visa, it would be possible to cross all land and air borders during this time. The embassy issued visas with no problems for entering on Aug 29 and leaving Sept 4.

Are there other travelers also planning to try to cross from Osh to Andijon (continuing to Tashkent) on August 29?
1 x

Scribetrotter

Post by Scribetrotter »

Following. Am planning on crossing the border from Osh in mid-September if reopened. Have heard there are 'minor problems' along the border - 4 Kyrygyz border guards arrested, a relay station taken over... Hope it doesn't escalate. Meantime, looking at alternate route back to Bishkek and over through Kazakhstan - many countries now visa-free for up to 10 days I hear.
0 x

Pierre C

Post by Pierre C »

I confirm that Tursunzade- Denov border crossing is open : my friend crossed on 24th August and the French Embassy confimed on 26th august that the border crossing will be open on 1st of september (uzbekistan's independance day).
1 x

Pablo83

Post by Pablo83 »

Anyone have any updates on this? We have visas and train tickets from Shymkent to Tashkent on 31st Aug - 1st Sept. Many people are telling us the border is closed but as we have tickets...... Not sure what to do....!!??
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Hi PAblo83,

here is what I think will happen. http://caravanistan.com/forum/viewtopic ... t=10#p7275. At least the Osh Dostyk border has been proven to be open at the moment.

Extra bit of spice: the president is on his deathbed, it is rumoured. Might mean future border closings, who knows...TBC.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

MathER

Post by MathER »

I've crossed the Oybek border into Uzbekistan this morning with no problems. The journey into Tashkent though was a nightmare with long tailbacks at two checkpoints as you get closer to the city.

Now that old Islam has had a stroke this situation may only worsen in the coming days.
0 x